Removing Cyano with Chemical Treatment

jacko

Coral Curator
Have people had good luck with "Ultralife Red Slime Remover" and "Chemi-Clean" ???

I think both are strong oxidizers. Ultralife RSR may include erythromycin as well.

Any comments? Any bad experiences? thanks.

I used chemi-clean for cyano i was changing 5 gallons of water a night but with no results so i broke down and bought chemi-clean from cra if they use it with no side affects i will to it worked great i have not seen any side affects and its been 3 months now ,what a nightmare cyano can be good luck

Does cyano do any damage other than look crappy?

I got an outbreak due to old lights, heavy feedings, new tank, not enough waterflow, and not enough skimming. Just that , nothing else :) . I can only change the lights and pull back on my feeding right now. I'm waiting till we get the big tank up and cycled to transfer everything to it. Don't want to sink money into the practice tank right now. I blow it off of any corals, but I'll get more agressive if I should. It is a pretty color.

I had a very bad outbreak a couple months after setting up my tank, Kept up on maintennance, got conchs, nass. snails etc to stir up sand, increased water flow etc. and have not had a problem since. I don't like to add any chemicals I don't have to.

jacko said:
Have people had good luck with "Ultralife Red Slime Remover" and "Chemi-Clean" ???

I think both are strong oxidizers. Ultralife RSR may include erythromycin as well.

Any comments? Any bad experiences? thanks.

works great. i have some extra if you need it.
i'd try to determine the problem and correct it before using it.
if you don't it's just going to keep comming back.

thanks for reminding me scott I had 3 maxi jet 1200. a quiet one 6000 for the return not even close for the flow i wanted so i bought 2 tunze 6000 and put the maxi jets in my fowler tank.from my little bit of exp the bigger the water turn over the better just my (2 cents)tunze not cheep but i have movement everywere in the tank now :eek:

Scott Merrill said:
works great. i have some extra if you need it.
i'd try to determine the problem and correct it before using it.
if you don't it's just going to keep comming back.
thanks scott. I have some RSR from Jerry (here in town).

Don't use it if you have the coral Monastrea cavernosa from the Caribbean. Not likely you do. I just read an article that it is the first coral that has been determined to have both cyanobacteria, and the usual symbiotic algaes within it's tissues.

I used the Ultralife RSR product this morning. I tried to vacuum all the cyano out prior to dosing. To maintain oxygenation, I have kept my Euroreef running on max with the cup physically OFF the system. And I have added an air stone to the main tank (probably unnecessary).

I have two questions:
* How long should I wait before adding carbon and doing water changes? How long until the effects are thorough? I still see red slime on the sand. I dosed a little on the low side to be safe.
* Also, does the excessive oxygen in the water decrease the potency of the oxidizer? i.e. does it lose effectiveness by heavy oxygenation?

I have used Chemi-clean with success, have not used RSR. FYI, CC recommends you discontinue protein skimmers, UV sterilizers, and carbon for at least 24 hours after use. And, if cyano is still present after 48 hours, to do another dose. Not sure if these rules apply to RSR...

Back