Removing zoos / mushrooms...

Reef55

BRS Member
Ok, as I look around my tank and realize that the green star polyps, mushrooms, and zoos are overtaking my tank getting up close (and in one case killed) my SPS, I have decided they have to go.

Ones on small rocks to remove, no problem. It is the ones that are all over my large rock pieces that I am wondering about. I have gone in with a razor blade / bone shears for one pass on one large rock. Did great on the green star polyps and some of the mushrooms, but looking again today (did that yesterday), of course there are small mushrooms I didn't see the first time that I'll have to go back for.

I was thinking though... are there any corals that if they touch mushrooms / zoos, that mushrooms or zoos would die and dissolve?? Then I could just sweep that coral over the ones I want dead :)

I have just gone through the same process (you've seen the mess that the left part of my tank still is with all the rock rearranging that went on)... I managed to remove most of the zoos and mushrooms by scraping the rock with a utility knife, the very few that were left behind I injected with kalk paste.

Nuno

You giving any away. My tank only has one rock with mushrooms. I would be interested in helping by taking them off your hands. I'm just starting so anything is a marvel for me.

Back