Rinsing food before feeding

well yes, even our own bodies contain phosphates and they are essential to our bodies, as well as fish and corals... but are you trying to somehow twist that and say that high levels of phosphate in the water are good?

Levels of phosphate need to be minuscule, like they are in the wild. We don't aim for "0" phosphates, but we like to get as close to that number as possible as to mimic the natural environment of the ocean.

No, definately not. But I think the amount of phosphate in the water from frozen food is miniscule compared to the amount that's in the actual food you put in your tank. I don't rinse, just feed sparingly...

Why would you feed a marine creature a food that contains freshwater??
Especially coral.I may seem to be being over the top with this line of thought but the way i look at it,why use freshwater when tank water is right on hand and will give a more natural food source.

PE Mysis shrimp...don't those come from fresh water lakes in Canada?:p.

Some times I rinse frozen foods in RODI water a few times then dump them into a cup of tank water other times I just use tank water with no RODI.

Why do you strain before dumping in? I just take tank water, thaw, then just dump whole thing in, what gets in when you dont strain?

Why do you strain before dumping in? I just take tank water, thaw, then just dump whole thing in, what gets in when you dont strain?

Lots of small junk and liquid that the fishys don't eat so you are just polluting the water more then necessary. At least that's my take.

I just had this conversation with another person that expressed an opinion that if you RO/DI rinse any frozen food you wash away any liquid that's essential to feed the corals and what settles to the bottom or within the rocks feeds a clean up crew or any other smaller life matter within the tank. If such a concern for phosphates in such a small amount then most will run phosban reactors. A weekly 10% water change should be done and keep water parameters in check and change out filter socks when needed. Then he said to stop sweating the small stuff.

I rinse all my frozen in fresh tap water. The reason is that when I prepare it, lots of it gets chopped up too fine and creates a cloud in my tank. My P04 is around 0.008 Merck kit so I really don't think the small bit of tap water adds much phosphate to the water. In fact there is probably much more phosphate in the food itself!

I agree with NOT dumping the water from the rinse back into the tank. I feed primarily frozen mysis, and I don't think it is shipped in fresh water. The times I have thawed it in a clear glass, it was very easy to see all the junk it is frozen with. Why add that crap to the tank after working so hard to keep it clear/clean.

I used to rinse in RO only, now I rinse it in cold tap water, or tank water if it's closer. I put it in a brine net and gently rinse or soak it. I have not seen any issues at all. I got the advice from someone at seahorse.org

I use rods food, cut a 1" by 1" square, thaw in a cup of tank water and pour straight into my powerhead, it spreads it out nicely, and everything gets what it needs. If the fish eat it all in a minute to a minute and a half, I'll add another little piece the same way....no issues thus far, and everyone is fat and happy :D

PE Mysis shrimp...don't those come from fresh water lakes in Canada?:p.

Some times I rinse frozen foods in RODI water a few times then dump them into a cup of tank water other times I just use tank water with no RODI.

yes ,thats why i don't use them:p

I used to thaw my frozen in a small cup of tank water and dump the whole lot in when thawed. After battling cyano for a bit and on the advice of B at Unique, i got a brine net and began rinsing. I keep a squirt bottle of RO next to my sink for convenience.

Not sure if it was the rinsing or my makeshift fuge that helped, but the tank is clean and happy, so if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Has anybody prethawed mysis rinsed then kept it in ro/di water in a squeeze bottle in the fridge?I thought that this might make feeding a little easier.

I read that you shouldn't keep it un-thawed in the fridge (in water) for more than a couple hours max.

Better safe than sorry IMO

Are people more concerned about PH4 from the water or the food? If it's the water than it makes sense to rinse with RO or tank water. If it's the food then what can you really do about. Does rinsing take any PO4 out of the food? I doubt it but I'm no chemist.

I use a home made sort of goo comprised of natural seafoods for most of my feedings. I use flake and store bought foods very sparingly. And I just use tank water with no rinsing for the frozen goo.

Are people more concerned about PH4 from the water or the food? If it's the water than it makes sense to rinse with RO or tank water. If it's the food then what can you really do about. Does rinsing take any PO4 out of the food? I doubt it but I'm no chemist.

I use a home made sort of goo comprised of natural seafoods for most of my feedings. I use flake and store bought foods very sparingly. And I just use tank water with no rinsing for the frozen goo.

rinsing it removes a lot of the unwanted liduid filler that is incorporated into the food as a freezing medium.

Back