RO plumbing question

NateHanson

Non-member
I've got one line from my RODI output (AirWaterIce Typhoon) plumbed to a float valve in my sump. A 1/4 turn valve in that line also restricts the flow, so that even when the float valve is open, the water only trickles out (for emergency flood prevention).

My question is, will this very slow output cause my RODI automatic shutoff valve to remain open nearly all the time, so my RODI unit runs nearly continuously spilling water down the drain, as it delivers water very slowly to the sump? I know others use a similar setup. So, does it cause a problem like I'm thinking about? Or am I overthinking this?

One solution I thought of (if there is a problem that needs solved) is to add a small expansion tank (I've seen small ones at West Marine), in hopes that it would reduce the cycling of the RODI auto shut off. Does that seem like it would work?

Nate,
I'm not sure of the answer to that question, but something else that comes to mind is that by creating back pressure on the system, your probably changing the rejection rate.
Please excuse the shameless plug here but this is exactly the type of design question we are looking to cover at the workshop on 12/04/04. :)

Yes I thought of your workshop Marc. It's neat to see you're planning to do that sort of thing.

Do you mean backpressure from the expansion tank? There's already an expansion tank on the RO output that goes to a tap on my kitchen sink (as set up by the manufacturer), so I wouldn't think that small amount of pressure is a problem. But I don't know.

NoI meant the back presure created by restricting the ouput with a valve.

umm. . . about this idea for hooking the Kalk reactor directly to the rodi output . . . Not a good idea it turns out.

Testing my kalk reactor, and at about 20 pounds (I had a gauge hooked up for curiosity of when the RODI shuts itself off) BANG the top separated from the tube. :(

Anyone got an 8" square scrap of 3/8" or thicker acrylic?

Nate

Back