salt question

• Thread starter jokersplayground
  • Start date
J

jokersplayground

ok so ive always used reef crystals. now that im going to have a mainly sps tank, im wondering if i should switch to red sea coral pro salt mix. ive never had a issue with the reef crystals. but ive heard some good things and some bad things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive heard there is better coloration and over all health of the corals

give it a shot in this case and see how it work; be ready to switch back though, just in case; keep enough salt and water on hand to do on short notice.

I used Reef crystals and had great color and never had a problem, if you think your gonna get better results with coral pro then go for it, but I would stick with rc for now, and if you think you can get better color/results with coral pro down the line then just change then, but for now I'd stick with what you have

If you make the change are you also ready for the jump in price!!??
Few online retailers you can grab the RC for about $46-$52 w/free delivery, even a few locals will be at the same price.
RSCP is now in the $60 range unless you can find the 200g Commercial bag which falls a little.

I've seen you move around in tank sizes over the years and believe your soon to be or current will be of a larger size so you will be using more salt when doing water changes which naturally will cost more :)
I have used RSCP for years until their recent price jump! Just happen to come across a great deal at Marine Depot and was able to buy 4 200g boxes of RC delivered free for $180. woohoo......(even though UPS guy was cursing me)

I mainly used RC also and never had a problem. I have good color and growth in my SPS tank. Honestly, I now use IO because the higher alk and Ca in the RC screws up my levels when I do WC because they are too high. I dose 2-part and like the lower levels in my replacement water. I still have great color. I have found that lighting and husbandry affect SPS color and growth far more than subtle changes in salt will.

Red sea coral pro is annoying to mix. If you don't follow the directions the extra calcium can precipitate and the water will be cloudy. I switched back to regular IO and won't switch back. I have a bucket of red sea coral pro salt I'd sell for 30 bucks I used about 6 cups of it.

Agree with the others. I use regular instant ocean from petco and it's fine. I see no need to pay a ton of money for a name. Your colors are going to come from stability, keeping up on your water changes keeping your nitrate/phosphate in check.

I mainly used RC also and never had a problem. I have good color and growth in my SPS tank. Honestly, I now use IO because the higher alk and Ca in the RC screws up my levels when I do WC because they are too high. I dose 2-part and like the lower levels in my replacement water. I still have great color. I have found that lighting and husbandry affect SPS color and growth far more than subtle changes in salt will.

What were the levels of RC when you tested? Last time I tested I believe it came out to 3 meq/L alk and 420 calc which is right where it should be.

I Tested My RC the other day and got 8dkh and 400 ppm that was an elos test kit and I feel they read a little low

I'm considering ESV B Ionic because I will need to be mixing small batches.

Are you talking about their salt? I used it for a year or so and loved it just got a little bit to pricey for me, especially now that I went to a 150. I am using the Salinity salt right now and so far I like it. As for the ESV salt, I liked that it was always consistent with the levels as you mixed each one separately. I do recommend doing it by weight, found it to be easier. I was mixing 30 gallons at a time (lasted about 4 weeks), I would start with a little under 30 gallons and start adding each component, I did this throughout the day. So I would add part 1, then go do something while it mixed. When I got around to it later that day do part 2. Those take the longest as they are not liquid components. Parts 3 and 4 I did within minutes of each as they are liquid and mix very quickly. In the year that I used the salt I did not have to clean anything out of my barrel where with Coral Pro I was cleaning it out every other month. Giving the Salinity a chance before I decide if I want to go back to the ESV.

I'm cheap,I'll use whatever is on sale and supplement it to get the parameters right.
But,I do think it is easier and best to use "Reef" quality salt.

I have tried a bunch of salts (IO, RC, Coralife, RSCP, Seachem) in the past and have had the best luck with ESV. Measuring out the components takes a little time but is easy. Don't have to worry about settling, inconsistency, cloudiness if I add a heater too early, etc and I get no strange buildups on my mixing container. Mixes crystal clear, parameters are spot on every time and I can add to the tank inside of an hour if I so choose.

It would be convenient if someone local carried the salt, but shipping from Premium Aquatics is only $8.99 and it comes right to my door.

JD

Back