Sh!t hits the fan.

G.T

Salt Alien
I have had the worst aquarium keeping week, in 28 years. Started off great, with myself and my wife, heading to Georgia (Atlanta) to have a relaxing week, while spending lots of time at the huge aquarium they have.
So here goes
1. Receive a phone call, from my tank minder that the house is full of smoke and the fire department, are on route.
2 on arrival and entering our condo, smoke was found to be belting out from underneath in the sump area. Flaming Surge protector!
3 As the reason for the smoke is unknown, the eager FD, knock the neighbors door, including the frame out of where the door used to fit lol.
4 surprised Mmmmm no smoke.
5 Anyways the good men and a lady I believe disconnected the attached and very faulty surge protector from my tank.
6 two days later, after much attention from tank sitter, the tank had tripped and remained unheated and circulating.
7 I am heart broken I have lost almost all of my fish. Including my beloved pair of long nosed Hawks.
8 so still in Atlanta, most of the accessible dead fish removed by my very stressed tank sitter. I now have the sump return, the heater and gyre working. Just for life support.
We all know what happens, when there maybe other dead fish Talk about a knock on effect. I really am gutted.

If anyone wants a cheap turnkey set up. I will be posting when I get home. I just can't deal with this ATM.
With all my injuries, from ,2 years ago I can't lug stuff around.

I'm so sorry to read this. What a blow when you're supposed to be worry free. I hope the rest of your place escaped unscathed.

Wow !!!! sorry to hear about this , Surge protectors are scary . Thatis why when I set my tanks up I make sure never to go over 1/2 of its capacity . I was reminded of this at work when I saw the cord running a 2000 watt stand halide light catch fire . ( I work in very dangerous conditions ) Chin up , things will get better don't give up

Sorry to hear that.
Do you remember what brand of surge protector is it?

On my last two tank setups I have a new rule I follow, no outlets of a any kind are mounted in the sump area. In my new setup for display I have a separate compartment in the cabinet for equipment and outlets on my basement frag tank all outlets are mounted outside the cabinet.

keep your chin up and keep pushing forward. was there something wrong with the surge protector? did water splash on it or was it just overloaded? is there a way to circumvent the situation in the future? i am sorry you have to deal with this situation, but try to find something educational about it. at least then you will be prepared in the future. :encouragement:

All my power strips are mounted higher than tank level. Some are on the ceiling.
My Power outlets are all above tank level as well, some are on the ceiling too.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It really sucks to have to deal with something like this when you're on vacation.
Keep us updated on how you make out

So Good things come out of the ashes! A Great friend of mine gave me his spare 110 (48x30x18), he had hanging around. Today i got a new stand from Jays in Salem, its now on its way to being finished. Wife did not blow a gasket, when she got home from work either lol. As we all know, its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission right?
So thanks for all the good wishes. Pics to follow on this new Creation.

Wow! I'm so sorry. If you need help with anything, please let me know. I still have the clowns and anemone I got from you, they're all yours if you want them. I can throw in some frags too. You have my number, just give me a ring.

Wow! I'm so sorry. If you need help with anything, please let me know. I still have the clowns and anemone I got from you, they're all yours if you want them. I can throw in some frags too. You have my number, just give me a ring.

Ed thank you so much for your offer. The pair of clowns i had, a damsel and a pyjama cardinal, were the only survivors. I am gutted to have lost everything, but i could of lost my Home. So Moving on, tank is up for sale. I have just set up a 110, plenty of live and dry rock, but it looks so empty lol. If anyone would like to donate a simple softy, it would help to get me up and running again. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Gary that quadra rbta you sold me split so if you want one I'll sell it back to you when your ready. I know your pain I just lost all my coral and trochus snails. Very weird that only my trochus died. Didn't lose any hermits, nassarius, or turbo snails

Gary that quadra rbta you sold me split so if you want one I'll sell it back to you when your ready. I know your pain I just lost all my coral and trochus snails. Very weird that only my trochus died. Didn't lose any hermits, nassarius, or turbo snails

Please drop by and I will help you rebuild with free corals.

Back