Should it stay or should it go?

reefkeeper2

BRS Member
I got this Moorish Idol not long ago and struggled to get him to eat. Now he's a voracious pig that nips at my acros. I keep nori available for him most of the day and that helps but he still nips and my other fish are getting obese! Funny thing is I don't see any damage to the acros. It's just 3 of them he bothers. They have no polyp extension during the day but look fine at night. He is a beautiful fish and his streamer has grown to 4 inches so I'm thinking of just watching and waiting to see what happens. Think the acros will be OK or should I remove him?

Attachments

• rps20160204_132054.jpg
    rps20160204_132054.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 383
I'm suprised. They primarily eat sponge. Mine decimated my sponge population then I feed the angel food which has alot of sponge in it.

If your fine with it then leave it. It's only really an issue when coral growth can't keep up with the nips. I wonder if other coral will start to stay closed over time.

No fish is worth keeping over the health of your corals IMO.

I thought I could handle the nipping on the SPS from the angelfish(I love large Angelfish) but after looking at bald SPS for a couple weeks, I ended buying a fish trap and get rid of all the angels.

I also had the Moorish Idol itch and added one. It ended up killing and eating some of my trochus snails and it was quickly returned to the LFS.

BTW, it took almost a month for all the SPS to grow and extend their polyps back. IMO, it's not worth it!

I had 3 Idols in my 11ftr back in wales. They are not reef safe period. They will pick at acros, lps and even softies. If this does not bother you. Thats fine, but they are a fish which seldom alters there ways. If you saw one up close, and look really careful they have 2 fangs inside there mouth, which are foldable like a snakes for picking at polyps. I think unless the tank is large, i believe they should be left in there natural environment. Sadly the mortality rate for these fish, is around 80% for longterm sustainability.

Spot the Birdy!

fishy5.jpg

The coral he bothers the most is the BRS pink lemonade. I looked at it this afternoon and it's polyps were out, which was surprising since I had seen him nip at it a few times that morning. If he's not getting the polyps or any of the coral flesh, what is he nipping at? Mucus? There is no damage to the coral that I can see. I will watch and wait. Sure looks nice gliding around the tank.

The coral he bothers the most is the BRS pink lemonade. I looked at it this afternoon and it's polyps were out, which was surprising since I had seen him nip at it a few times that morning. If he's not getting the polyps or any of the coral flesh, what is he nipping at? Mucus? There is no damage to the coral that I can see. I will watch and wait. Sure looks nice gliding around the tank.

No visible damage...yet.

I wouldn't keep one in any tank I would notice damage to corals in. If he's picking, its only a matter of time.

I think I am opposite of most, I think I would try to keep him. I think I would rather have a cool fish and have some coral get a few nips and maybe adjust my coral selection. Now I guess if he starts killing everything then maybe I would rethink.

The fact that it is healthy and thriving is awesome because I hear it is a very finicky fish, but if your creating excess nutrients and feeding like crazy for one fish who's nipping at corals, I dunno what I'd do.
I guess watch it carefully and weigh your options, awesome fish tho!

I decided it has to go. I saw it take a nip at my elegance and that was the last straw. Such a shame. I have a fish trap but it's too small so I had to order a larger one. It won't be easy to get him out of there.

There is a yellow tang. There were two but my anemone got him. Tangs seem very vulnerable to my gigantea anemone. He was looking pretty poor anyway because the other one was brutalizing him.

I was just going to bring him back to the store. I have no problem selling him but I don't want to have to put him in the frag tank (which is big and full of rock) and then have to catch him again.

I had a Moorish Idol for about 3 years and was the showpiece fish in my tank. Unfortunately he ate Zoas and Candy Cane. I sold the Candy Cane, and the zoas and he was fine and did not bother anything else. Beautiful fish! Its a trade off

Back