SKIMMER QUESTION

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
Should you shut down your for any reason or run it all the time? Im setting up a controller and it has a stand by mode for the skimmer. I'm assuming that this is to stop the skimmer for a period of time. Im running a 90gal mixed reef/20gl sump.

thx for the help

I used to shut off flow all together, now I leave the wave makers on. I think the fish like chasing the food and the corals all get the small pieces.

In some systems when the return pumps are turned off it can raise the water level in the skimmer chamber, which can result in an overflow of the skimmer. So it would be a good design to have the skimmer turned off until the levels have equalized after the return resumes operation. Since many variable DC return pumps have a slow ramp up to its prior settings once started keeping the skimmer off for slightly longer makes sense sometimes.

In some systems when the return pumps are turned off it can raise the water level in the skimmer chamber, which can result in an overflow of the skimmer. So it would be a good design to have the skimmer turned off until the levels have equalized after the return resumes operation. Since many variable DC return pumps have a slow ramp up to its prior settings once started keeping the skimmer off for slightly longer makes sense sometimes.
Awesome Thought process' No that you mention that has happened to me several times while doing maintenance. Thanks for giving me a better idea of down time for the skimmer while return ramps up.

I run my skimmer 24/7 except I have it programmed so when my return pump stops, so does the skimmer. I give it 5 min for pump to start back up, then the skimmer kicks in. Regarding feeding, fish seem to like chasing food and it also gives corals some as well. Although maybe my fish are mad at me and I don’t realize it...

@jsak1976 (Josh from Granite States Acquatics) did setup my entire system. My skimmer never stops either My pumps for feeding since I do pellets (they love) and I use a great feeding ring from 2 little fishes that prevents the food to go back to the sump. And yes,for maintenance when I press B on my apex, stops everything and when it comes back, is programmed to wait 5 minutes before skimmer kicks off so the water is back to the level. All this program was created by Josh, beside dosing and everything else. He has great knowledge in this thing. I highly recommend contact him if you need any help. Or you can go by many different opinions that I'm sure you will see here. Look their system, that;s what I do now. If they are sucess system, follow it, because if works for it, I'm sure will work for you. Good luck!

Back