SPS Eye Candies

Hey look who's back! I see you haven't lost your touch with the camera as well huh? hahahahah.

You have some nice colored sticks in there. Nice Bipartus, I love those fish.

And you ain't bad at the picture taking thing ;)

U ever wanna come over with some tips and frags lmk i will be glad to have you
Hello neighbor. For starter, you gotta stop taking picture of your tank with your cell phone. :p
In all seriousness, DSLR are cheap and a used one is dirt cheap. If you don't already have one, start looking into one if you want to represent your tank well to the audience. Even an entry model with D3100 or D51/200 is perfectly fine. They take time to practice, no doubt. But when you get the hang of it, the results are much much better than any expensive top of the line phone camera. My photography skill was seeded by this hobby. I wanted other people to see what I see.
The link at the top of this forum is very helpful if you want to take better picture of your tank.

Great pics as usual Nick! Where you been hiding?
Colors are great in your tank by the way.
Ah I see how it is
Yes, there was a time when I felt the club was too sensitive for my personal taste. You're trying to give people honest opinion and advice but they take like you're making fun of their mother or something. I felt a big disconnect and went swimming in the bigger pool and said what I want to say. It's so big that nobody really care what you say. lol

Hey look who's back! I see you haven't lost your touch with the camera as well huh? hahahahah.
If reefing is my wife, photography is my mistress. One is good on a rainy day, the other is good for the rest.

Wow !!!!! Great shots..looks like I'm going back to sps.
You'll never be bored with SPS. Most coral will grow and look the same, some even stay the same size. But SPS form change from a tiny frag to huge colony. Wide variety of colors, form, and care level. Then one day, they all started to STN and RTN and you panic and have no idea what's going on. You start over and life is good again.

You have some nice colored sticks in there. Nice Bipartus, I love those fish.
And you ain't bad at the picture taking thing ;)
Thanks Greg. Yeah the bipartitus is a real bully sometime. It doesn't bother the fish I have in there now, but I've tried to put 2 other meleagris leopard and he killed them within 48hrs. It's also a PITA when it goes to sleep every night. Some of my LPS get covered in sand when the wrasse goes to sleep. It has its spot and that the only place it dart into the sand. I tried to cover it with a piece of rock, coral but it still gets underneath somehow. I used to love it when it was a baby. Not so much now since the adult color is starting to show. But oh well, it is my baby.

Beautiful sticks and tank! Well done.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Some of the best photo ever!
What kind of lens are you using?
Thanks

Nick, you should give a talk at a BRS meeting for how to take coral photo. I want to learn.

i for one will not show my tank .....lol not with shots like this (unless i get a good camera .....

really amazing ............. more shots will always be appreciated

Some of the best photo ever!
What kind of lens are you using?
Thanks
For close up coral shot, I use a 105mm f/2.8 VR. Otherwise it could be a 50mm.

i for one will not show my tank .....lol not with shots like this (unless i get a good camera .....

really amazing ............. more shots will always be appreciated

Thanks! Most dSLR are the same. No such thing as a good camera. Only good photographer. ;)

How about some clams? First two are newly added from PEA.

Black&Blue with teal rim
original.jpg

Black&Blue with blue rim and gold center layer follow by a black&blue center. This one will be awesome when it's fully open.
original.jpg

Blue with white stripe with gold rim.
original.jpg

My pride and Joy. Blue Squamosa!
original.jpg

The valley of clams.
original.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Man, these are awesome. What kind of thing do you use for top down photo?

How about some clams? First two are newly added from PEA.

Black&Blue with teal rim
original.jpg

Black&Blue with blue rim and gold center layer follow by a black&blue center. This one will be awesome when it's fully open.
original.jpg

Blue with white stripe with gold rim.
original.jpg

My pride and Joy. Blue Squamosa!
original.jpg

The valley of clams.
original.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Man, these are awesome. What kind of thing do you use for top down photo?

4 sided black acrylic box with a clear bottom. Very easy to put together. Put your lens in there and have fun. I built the box so that it fits only the lens.
original.jpg

Man.. those are some serious skills.. both with the photography and with the aquarium... I liked the idea of the acrylic box for taking top down photos... mind sharing some more tips/tricks? When I try to get photos they always come blurry even with fast shutter speed.. do you use any external lighting? As Dong said, you should give a speech in BRS monthly meeting on photography... i want to learn :)

Man.. those are some serious skills.. both with the photography and with the aquarium... I liked the idea of the acrylic box for taking top down photos... mind sharing some more tips/tricks? When I try to get photos they always come blurry even with fast shutter speed.. do you use any external lighting? As Dong said, you should give a speech in BRS monthly meeting on photography... i want to learn :)

Shoot with your lens perpendicular to the glass. Shutter speed should be faster than 1/focal length of the lens. If in doubt, use a tripod. Fish are fast, you'll need 1/500" or faster to freeze their action.

Back