SPS Eye Candies

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Awesome stuff Nick.......is that a blue star leopard wrasse I see?

Awesome stuff Nick.......is that a blue star leopard wrasse I see?

Hi Brian,
Yes, that's the blue star or bipartitus leopard wrasse. Unfortunately, I lost it just before the holidays. I don't know what happen. One night, I found it laying on the sand bed instead of under the sand and it did not go under the sand for the entire night. When it finally went into the sand bed a couple days later, I did not see it again. And a couple days after that, my tank smelled and I knew right away it was the dead wrasse. Luckily, it did not cause any ill effect to the tank inhabitants.
I had for over 3 years. I love the color and the "leopard" pattern on it when it was a juvie. As it matures, the color changed to a more green. It was a well behaved citizen for the most part(most aggressive fish in the tank as it matures). Eats everything I put in the tank including nori seaweed and pellets.
I'm eyeing a pair or trio of Meleagris but I'm holding off as I'm not what's the future of this tank...unfortunately.

Nov. 2010
original.jpg

Nov.2014
original.jpg

Nick can you give us a run down of your tank specs

Sure.
Tank=Elos System 70-55 gallon display(30"x22"x20"), 15gallon sump
Light=Elos Planet II- 1x250W DE(Pheonix bulb), 4x24W T5(2xATI Blue Plus, 2xUVL Super Actinic)
Refugium light=ELos Estripe 21W LED running reverse cycle(On at night) to help with PH
Return/circulation Pump=Eihem 1260 with a valve
Wave/Flow pump= Vortech MP40 at 50% in long pulse mode
Skimmer=Vertex Omega 150
Heating=Eheim Jager 50W
Cooling=2x SCYTHE SLIP STREAM SY1225SL12L PC fans
ATO= GHL optical sensor and float with SpectraPure LiterMeter pump
Nutrient Control= BRS HC GFO, BRS ROC carbon, Chaeto in the fuge
Supplements=BRS Alkalinity, Caclum, and Magnesium automated dosing with GHL doser
Water Change=5 gallons a week. Could easily automate this but don't want two many storage container in the room.
Controller=GHL Profilux 3EX with remote access and control. I have a lengthy set up guide over at RC.
Safety Features= Email and Text with alarm is on. Alarm is on when temp is out of the desired window, PH out of desired window, salinity out of desired window(this is a safety specifically for the doser. In the event of a stuck on pump, the large amount of ALK/CA/MG fluid will raise the salinity level. This will cut the power to the doser), water level too low or too high in sump, water too high in display tank(drain is clogged) which turn off the return pump. Skimmer has a black out delay of 3mins so that the water level can settle after a power outage otherwise the skimmer will overflow. I've put a lot of thought into the system over the years. The longest I've been away from the tank is 4 weeks and someone just need to feed the fish. The tank looked better when I came back. I think I put my hand in the tank too often when I'm home.

Temps=78
PH=8.0-8.2
Conducitivity(salinity)=49ms or 1.026
Alk=9dKH
CA=450ppm
MG=1400pm
Phosphate=0.01-0.04 (tested with Hanna checker)
Nitrate=2-4ppm (Tested with Red Sea Pro)

Sump tank
original.jpg

The dosing unit with ATO pump and supplements container. This can last me about a year.
original.jpg

Last edited:
By far one of the best tanks I've seen . The nicest set up ever ,was when Jason (buddie) had his setup and this
Comes very close. .everything is super healthy.Nick you sure know your stuff.

That's awesome, I just picked up a pair and they are doing good so far, just acclimating to the differentiating schedule. Here she is just before she comes out:
72251C42-305F-4516-8AA7-907F399FAFD4-1453-000000A2DE22D150_zpsbf358352.jpg

That's awesome, I just picked up a pair and they are doing good so far, just acclimating to the differentiating schedule. Here she is just before she comes out:
72251C42-305F-4516-8AA7-907F399FAFD4-1453-000000A2DE22D150_zpsbf358352.jpg

How are these guys with shrimp, snails, and hermits? (Sorry if I'm derailing here) I had an awesome looking mystery wrasse, but unfortunately I had to remove him because of his appetite :confused:

How are these guys with shrimp, snails, and hermits? (Sorry if I'm derailing here) I had an awesome looking mystery wrasse, but unfortunately I had to remove him because of his appetite :confused:

I forgot to mention, the leopard wrasse ate all my acro crabs that my lfs worked very hard on pulling out of their colonies for me. I was pissed but I had no way of getting out of the tank. That beak it has is more effective than any tool we can use to pull out acro crabs out of SPS. It just peck at the carapace of the crab and the crab is stunned and eventually come out. I saw it happen one after another with my own eyes. I never had any problem when it was small.

Time for a 2014 update. SPS have been growing nicely over the past two months.

Red Planet, Joe the Coral, Upscale Microlado, Blue Tips Tenuis, ORA Bird of paradise colonies.
original.jpg

SPS variety
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Back