SPS grow observations (long with few branches vs short and many branches)

Docstach

Non-member
Just a random observation and I was wondering the cause. I have a green slimmer that has been doing well in my tank. With "standard" reef conditions IE lots of flow and LED lights with a heavy blue lean it grows like a typical green slimmer. By that I mean it has long stalks with few branches. However, I trimmed off a piece of it awhile ago and for lack of a better place I just stuck it in my refugium. In my refugium it still grows quite well, however it branches like crazy. Stalks don't grow more than an inch before branching. The refugium is also lit by a LED but it has much more of a white/red spectrum to it. Also, the flow is a lot less. I figure it has to be one of those two things but not sure which one?

vs

Im new to SPS, but my understanding is that flow plays a huge roll in how they grow. Becuase they need lots of flow, in high flow environments they will grow thick, tightly packed branches. In low flow, becuase the need the water movement, the tend to be thinner and spread outward. Light could have something to do with it as well, but my guess is flow.

Any guess at this point is anicdotal. Light can effect growth too. I could be both for all we know. The only to tell would be a set of experiments using the scientific method.

I would be interested to know the answer to this too. Even my stylophora is long and leggy in my current tank. I had always assumed it was for the same reasons as my outside garden plants: lower light + low wind = straggly and full sun + exposed wind = stocky . But I have no idea -- would love to know real reasons.

Last edited:
What types of LED in the display and what type of LED in the refugium?
Also flow plays an important roll in SPS growth form too.

Even with those answers, Dong you have to agree that without properly set up experiment we are just guessing? Aren't we?

What types of LED in the display and what type of LED in the refugium?
Also flow plays an important roll in SPS growth form too.

Both have standard Chinese black boxes, but I swapped out some of the LEDs on both (added UV and maybe a bit of red on the reef side and significant warm white and red on the refugium side). I agree this meant to come to a definitive answer since there are multiple variables and an n of 1 but if others have observed the same phenomenon trends could be seen. Besides, it is an interesting conversation to potentially change the way you want a coral to look by varying conditions. Similar but not really, I tried for awhile to get my blueberry acro to turn from blue to green by adjusting light exposure. I could get it close but as soon as it was exposed to normal reef light it turned back.

was the small colony and the big colony came from the same mother?

My .02; all are on target here. Even if your slimer frag was put a few inches from the mother colony it would likely grow differently. There are no two spots in any tank (let alone display vs fuge) that have identical flow:light patterns. Also consider what it is growing on/growing from. The frag has (to use laymen horticultural terms) "energy" to throw "new shoots" the mother colony has established base and "energy" could be going to "thicker and fewer shoots". So yes, lighting, flow, potential nutrient differential between the "two zones" of your system and effectively genetics restructuring all playing a part in the offsprings growth pattern. You should see the tortuosa mother and "offspring" I have in my display. Would take a very discerning eye to know it's the "same piece". I've found its a great way to learn about acro happiness to observe such things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

491a1b7ad603b2b077de7b4b74c59b49.jpg
bcf7c98c0c58f42c2ff2494733762c1d.jpg

My .02; all are on target here. Even if your slimer frag was put a few inches from the mother colony it would likely grow differently. There are no two spots in any tank (let alone display vs fuge) that have identical flow:light patterns. Also consider what it is growing on/growing from. The frag has (to use laymen horticultural terms) "energy" to throw "new shoots" the mother colony has established base and "energy" could be going to "thicker and fewer shoots". So yes, lighting, flow, potential nutrient differential between the "two zones" of your system and effectively genetics restructuring all playing a part in the offsprings growth pattern. You should see the tortuosa mother and "offspring" I have in my display. Would take a very discerning eye to know it's the "same piece". I've found its a great way to learn about acro happiness to observe such things!

Couldn't agree more. I placed an accidental frag of rommels rainbow very high, but partially shaded by the return locline. it's branches ended up being thinner and much much less PE. It also showed much more red/orange than the mother.

Yeah, I agree. Since I didn't have much experience in it, I thought I would post my experience to see if others had seen this with changes in flow or light. Nice pics BTW.

Back