sump idea looking for feedback

maxfischer

Instigator
im going to have a sump built this week and was thinking about the design. Im kinda cramped for space have about 23" x 23" to work with. I want the sump to house heaters, skimmer, return pump, frag/refuge, and topoff float switch. i know its gonna be cramped so this is what i came up with. Let me know what you think-thanks cory

Attachments

• topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 116
  • frontview.jpg
    frontview.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 123
  • sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 3dview.jpg
    3dview.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 117
Cory it's a nice design but I would be concerned about the return section. It will leave you with less than 3 gallons.

Cory it's a nice design but I would be concerned about the return section. It will leave you with less than 3 gallons.

agree, i was thinking of a auto top off out of a 5 gal bucket. not a fan of the top off but the system will hold an extra 5 gallons so no risk

Cory, I personally wouldn't worry about the return chamber having less that 3 gallons in it. I've had return chambers that only held about two and the benefit is that you never have to worry about a clogged drain causing the display to overflow. One thing in that design I would worry about is that it looks like that sump will be filled pretty close to the top which won't leave much room in the event of a pump failure. I would lower the baffles at the return area some to help out in that area.

Cory, I personally wouldn't worry about the return chamber having less that 3 gallons in it. I've had return chambers that only held about two and the benefit is that you never have to worry about a clogged drain causing the display to overflow. One thing in that design I would worry about is that it looks like that sump will be filled pretty close to the top which won't leave much room in the event of a pump failure. I would lower the baffles at the return area some to help out in that area.

thanks for the info, this is why i posted, i did not even think of this in the design. Gustavo is doing the build and im sure he would have pointed this out too. Thanks steve

Back