tang question

JimmyC

Non-member
I have a good size yellow tang in my 120 and I am getting a purple tang same size. I would like to keep them both . Question is can I take out the yellow and put him in my 55 refuge for like a week and then put both tangs in the 120 at the same time? Do you think that the yellow tang would remember the 120 and his area when I put him back in and still be aggressive toward the purple? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You may want to make an acrylic barrier to put in the center for a while until they get used to each other. I've also heard but haven't tried using a mirror against the glass. I'd almost say to leave the yellow in--because it's the purple that will be the bully. At least the yellow will have some home field advantage.

I recently added a kole in with my yellow. They are roughly the same size. tank is a 110. they postured against eachother for a couple days, now they pick food right beside eachother.

I had a yellow tang for 2 years before getting my purple tang. My yellow tang has never be aggressive before though. Purple tangs are know to be more aggressive than others. I didn't have much trouble adding the purple tang. My yellow tang was never aggressive toward the purple. My purple tang is more aggressive but my blue hippo tang keeps him in line. My purple tang does sometime like to bully around my wrasses but like i said, the hippo makes sure it doesn't last long.

I would agree if you wanted to introduce them again at the same time, you would need to move your rock work around.

I will add (no tang police please), I had a 40 breeder with a hippo, yellow and unicorn tang. They never fought. Got rid of them only due to size.

even with home turf, unless there is a big size disparity, I would bet on the aggressiveness of the purple over the yellow.

the shorter answer is yes, you can briefly put the yellow in a 55, but it is not good for the fish's long term health, as there is not enough swimming room for a tang.

a few days to a week should be enough of a reset.

last warning. tangs are prone to ich, so if you are not QT-ing the new fish, you are taking a chance.

even with home turf, unless there is a big size disparity, I would bet on the aggressiveness of the purple over the yellow.

the shorter answer is yes, you can briefly put the yellow in a 55, but it is not good for the fish's long term health, as there is not enough swimming room for a tang.

a few days to a week should be enough of a reset.

last warning. tangs are prone to ich, so if you are not QT-ing the new fish, you are taking a chance.

Thank you and I'm getting the purple from another reefer with an established tank and there should be minimum stress when I transport, So I am taking a chance yes but I only have two 55 gal tanks and one is a sump. the only other tanks I have is a 30 and I'm sure If I qt him in that will cause more stress than needed.

little late to the plate, but you want to but the agreessive in last, if u can section the display off with eggrate that might work too, like kittycorner it...............and introduce the p-tang................but as Jay said you are risking ick due to aggression and (summer temp fluctuations)

Back