Tank building question

Dave,

"In a "sides on bottom" tank, the entire bottom surface of the tank is supported by the stand, allowing the use of a thinner bottom pane. In the case of my build, the savings were substantial."

I'm trying to understand what you mean by this as either method the bottom is fully supported by cabinet unless the sides are extended down for some reason.

Jim

A "normal" sides around bottom tank sits on it's rim (made up of the side panels), and the bottom pane of the tank is raised slightly and therefore not supported. Any AGA or Oceanic tank would serve as a good example of what I'm talking about with this style tank.

I got the glass, super high quality, will post pics of the build when I start... Place I ordered from beveled all the edges for me, polished all edges etc... So I have much less work cut out for me as I was expecting raw cut glass..

Regardless my next question is in regard to seams...

How do you get the spacing correct? I was planning 1/8" seams for the verticals and 1/4 for the bottom...

Glass wrapped around the bottom glass...

My current plan is to mark off on the work table where the pieces should be, add the glue, then line them all up, then tap...

I see people using c-clamps, you're not supposed to press joining glass directly up onto one another correct, you're supposed to leave a gap of silicon EG (seam) correct?

TIA

finished my tank

fragtank5.jpg

Wow, you didnt waste anytime. What type silicon did you use, and what did you learn, and/or do different?

Wow, you didnt waste anytime. What type silicon did you use, and what did you learn, and/or do different?

100% silicon... If I had to do it again I'd just do a better job masking it, and take more time making the seams tidy. Otherwise I plan on making more and doing it almost the exact same way. Really happy how it came together considering its a first attempt.

that looks really nice, great job.I like these shallow frag tanks.

Thanks

Last edited:
Man I would have really liked to have seen the video. I have been thinking about doing the same. (building way own).

Man I would have really liked to have seen the video. I have been thinking about doing the same. (building way own).

It really isn't hard, it's just a question of making a game plan and sticking to it... First and foremost know all the measurements and don't forget to leave space for seams.

So when is the open house viewing when we hit it with a bottle of champagne to launch the tank?

So when is the open house viewing when we hit it with a bottle of champagne to launch the tank?

Haha, not too sure... I just drained it down, need to finish building the filter and lights now, be running soon I hope... I need more room for frags

Back