Tank trouble need help asap please!

tigerslacrosse4

Reef Addict
my 10g reef tank that I have made for my senior project is extremely cloudy and all of my mushrooms are closed, and both my birds nests are bleached out this happed over night so I fear that I don’t have much time to stop what is happening to it. I did a 2-2.5g water change and it looks even worse please if anyone can help msg me or post ASAP all help will be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
What are your water parameters? Details? Anything new added, etc...

Take it slow, trying to fix something you are not sure of yet can only make it worse, maybe start running some fresh carbon if you have it.

Do you have missing inhabitants? Any chance something got in the water? I'd continue some water changes & run carbon if you can.

thanks for the reply! Thing is this is tigers bro hes at work and asked me to try to get some help what do you mean water parameters? and yes i have some carbon i can cut up...

thanks for the post behrmon i dont have anymore water or salt so im stuck for that i need to get to my aunts house for some and i cant drive. is that all i can do

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you dose Sodium Ascorbate????????? Did you over dose???
( VIT C )

Last edited:
Water parameters would be the temperature of the tank, alkalinity, ph, calcium, s.g. Does your brother have any test kits around that you can use to check the water?

Do you know if the birdsnests' bleached out(lost their color) or have they RTN'd(meaning they lost their polyps and the tissue on the coral itself is gone, in which case the coral is now dead). If it's the later it may be a water issue, alkanity swing, temperature, etc..

As for the shrooms they are quite hardy, mine close often and for various reasons. Could be they are just ticked right now at the water and once things settle they will re-open.

Water parameters would be the temperature of the tank, alkalinity, ph, calcium, s.g. Does your brother have any test kits around that you can use to check the water?

Do you know if the birdsnests' bleached out(lost their color) or have they RTN'd(meaning they lost their polyps and the tissue on the coral itself is gone, in which case the coral is now dead). If it's the later it may be a water issue, alkanity swing, temperature, etc..

As for the shrooms they are quite hardy, mine close often and for various reasons. Could be they are just ticked right now at the water and once things settle they will re-open.

alright his temp is the usuial like 79 and he only has a KH carbonate hardness test kit and a calcium test kit and a sg/ppt thing

If the powder were Kalkwasser and if it were overdosed it would cause all those symptoms you can test for PH to tell you if that is the case.

(lets hope it's not)

alright his temp is the usuial like 79 and he only has a KH carbonate hardness test kit and a calcium test kit and a sg/ppt thing

If you can test using the sg/ppt thing(it's a refractometer), just place a small drop of water on the glass slide, close the plastic lid down and read where the blue line ends it will tell you the sg. It's helpful to hold it up to the light when looking through it. The KH test will measure the alkalinity, it is quite important to maintain it at a specific level.

i just did a calcium test (i think) and it took alot of drops of the bottle #2 to make the water the right color (24 drops) but what does this tell me im going to run a ph and sg/ppt test and see what the salt looks like and i will get back to you guys I'm also going to txt my brother and see if he dosed lately

ok lol i just found out i dont have a ph test kit i have a kh water hardness and that took me 8 drops sg is 1.027 and ppt is 35 so after doing those tests i need to add things to the water but i dont have anything to add so is this all i can do for now?

Back