Thinking about starting a 10g pico tank for LPS/SPS and need advice.

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
JW if a 10g would make it too difficult to keep SPS and if it would be better to have a micro skimmer on it which tend not to work or if I should just do weekly waterchanges of 25%? I plan to make the tank rimless and get a PAR38 Bulb or similar to hang above it. A small powerhead as well as a HOB powerfilter with polyfiber to get some crud out. Or maybe put cheato in it.

ivthis is going to get moved, but ive seen alot of people on here that have small nanos run skimmerless

Checkout nano-reef. Many run under 10gal sps systems skimmerless. There's even a few brave people with sub 1gal sps micro vases. Some use skimmers when 5gal or larger. Success is usually with daily maitanence, at least weekly water changes. Having a fuge(hob or aquaclear modded filter) helps a lot.
Just realize bad things can happen fast in such a small system.

Generally don't need a skimmer in a 10 gal tank unless you plan on feeding heavy. Making sure the water is topped off w/ weekly water changes should be fine.

My biggest problem with my 10g is keeping the alk/Ca in check. I underestimated the amount of Ca my sps would consume and soon after my regular two part dosing didn't cut it. I also let my guard down and next thing I knew my pH and Alk were out of whack. I'm still getting a feel for things. I wouldn't worry too much about the skimmer (as long as keep up with your WC, you've kept successful tanks so you know whats up), I think you should look into ways of stabilizing Alk/Ca if your going to get into SPS.

I have 8g nano skimmerless. The challenge is to maintain water parameters stable. There is not much (if any) wiggle room between optimal parameters and out of control parameters. A smallest change (a few more or less drops) can cause significant problem (I've learnt it the hard way - kalk doser malfunction). Small water changes daily or every 2-3 days will be better than 25% change per week. If you are up for the challenge, go slow and don't add any expensive coral until you find the right maintenance schedule and rhythm.

If it's just coral, there shouldn't be much crud in there. It's the fish that make it dirty. I run a 14 gal tank of lps, and I don't use a skimmer or filter, just a heater and powerhead. Keep up with the water changes, and you should be fine.

Back