Tropic Isle

president89

Non-member
I frequent this store because of it's wide variety of clownfish, and it's late hours. I went in todya looking for a very small clown, as one from my pair died, and I'm fairly certain the one left was female. One of the workers suggested that if I couldn't find a smaller fish, I could try for a much bigger one. I own 4 books on Clownfish(or that cover clownfish), and they all say that females cannot become male. The worker asked me how old my books were. I told him. He said Marine Biology has come along way in 10 -15 years. I wasn't convinced. I politely said I'll stick with what my books and all the forums I've been on say. He didn't take offense.

I own Clownfishes by Wilkerson, Conditioning, Spawning, and rearing of fish with emphasis on marine clownfish by Hoff, Anenome Fishes and their Host Sea Anenomes, and The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes by Witterich. All very notable books.

I was looking for a snowflake, and he found a young black ice that wasn't fully black yet, and he tried to pawn that off as a snowflake.

Not a negative thread - selection and prices were good which is what I go there for. Just was not thoroughly impressed with knowledge. If I'm totally wrong, and female clownfish can revert to male in the presence of another female please let me know, but everything I've read and heard says it doesn't happen.

On a positive note, I did buy a snowflake pair from this place a couple months ago and it spawned within 2 months which is pretty good. Some of their advertised pairs may be amicable, but I don't think they are necessarily pairs. Just take your time an observe. The male should stay close to the female and not fight. If they are co-existing, than they might be on their way to pairing, but that doesn't make them a pair. Either way, I'll go back.

Discussion in the VE Forum is prohibited. First hand experience only, please.

Went back to pick up some more clowns. They sold me a picasso pair, and swore they were Onyx Ocellaris. Good thing I didn't care. It was quite funny actually.

they setup a octo tank for the zebra mimic they have had for a while its pretty cool

So I have 3 pairs of spawning clowns from Tropic Isle. Only one was sold as a pair. I must have unbelievable luck. One pair of Onyx Picassos, One pair of Darwins, and One pair of snowflakes. All 3 pairs only took 30 days to spawn. Unbelievable.

Back