Troubles with VHO portion of Hamilton hood

stang8s

Cyber P
I have a 48" hamilton hood with dual 175w halides and dual 110W vho. The vho portion is not working. I have tried many bulbs so not the bulbs. When I first fire it on it will light bright for about a second, after that it goes to a dim light or a flickering light. No amount of wiggling or twisting the bulbs around in the sockets helps, so im thinking it is not the sockets either. If you shut it off and then back on again you can get the lights to flash again sometimes for a second. Im guessing it is in the ballast portion?? Any ideas?

What about the wire could you have a loose connection? It does sound like you may have a ballast issue.

Well i checked the plug/socket where it disconnects from the ballast, that seemed fine and tight and wiggling that made no changes. The other wires are just small wires into the light sockets they seem fine as well...

I'd think if you're having the same problems with all bulbs simultaneously, the ballast is the most likely culprit. How old is it? Warranty?

Either way, it should be pretty easy to swap out the VHO ballast.

Nate- It is pretty old I think. I got it second hand from out Buddy Ron. I have had it a few years now. I think the way these things are wired that if anything was wrong with any part of it, both bulbs would not fire. Even 1 bad socket. Usually if that is the case the wiggling routine would at least get it to work intermitent though

i put my money on the ballast. all VHO ballasts that have gone bad on me have done just what you are describing.

It is an older magnetic too. I think i can get a replacement electronic for $50 or less from hamilton

Scott-
Let me know what it is. Needs to fire two 110w 4 ft bulbs.

I was checking out those $35 ones Richard, Glad to hear from someone who has actually used them.

I am actually selling this halide setup but obvioulsy want it working correct first. I may actually buy 2 ballasts. One for this and one for a new fixture to run as its replacement with VHO only. I am going with fish only maybe a few softies.
Jeff

No problem Jeff.

Hey Scott what else do you have in your trunk. Maybe some corals of a fish or two you might want to swing by waltham area:)? I need to add some in my office tank

Well I now Know what is wrong with it! I opened it up to find out to my surprise that the ballast in it is a NO ballast rated for Two 40w lamps and not a vho ballast at all. Yet when Ron sold it to me he told me it was VHO and it even came with vho actinics in it..

If i put a vho ballast in it, im guessing I need to change the sockets too now.

Back