Unexpected coral ID from Bec's tank

TomD

Non-member
I got this piece of LR from Bec's sump. I noticed a whitish patch a month or so ago and I thought it was a sponge so I put it in the main.

In the last 3 weeks it has popped the brightest blue polyps and began encrusting fast!

Is this some kind of encrusting monti?

It went from white to colors of green/yellow with bright blue polyps.

Here is a pic with flash and without:rock in middle.

Thanks

Attachments

• unknown from Bec.JPG
    unknown from Bec.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 536
  • unknown from Bec 2.JPG
    unknown from Bec 2.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 552
coral

Tell me about it! It had 0 color when I got it because she had it in a dark sump.

I have to ask her what kind of montis she had in her tank. You should see the blue polyps on this thing in person:)

The whiter part to the right is where it has recentely encrusted.

Last edited:
It could be M. Palywanensis. That is green with nice blue polyps in some conditions, and bec had a big colony. It's a great coral if that's what it is. Pretty fast grower too.

Last edited:
It could be M. Palywanensis. That is green with nice blue polyps in some conditions, and bec had a big colony. It's a great coral if that's what it is. Pretty fast grower too.

Here's a picture of my M.palywanensis if you need something to reference it.
Palewensis.jpg

BTW, for all those reading it...Is there another name for this coral? Or has it been referred to wrong all this time? Any search on this name for me only brings up pictures from Greg Hiller and Bec. I can't find any information on it.

Hi Tom -

May be M. palawanenis... M. danae... or one of a few others. I can't really see the details in the image, but it looks like a keeper!

Glad things are going well.
best,

b

Thanks Bec. It is not a M.palywanensis. I have one and it is nothing like it but this is reallu nice.

It has much bluer polyps than my M.palywanensis. I got that one from Greg.

looks like a rainbow monti.......Did she have that in her tank?

That is what I originally thought and still think. It is showing more and more colors so I think I will know better soon.

I never owned one yet. Can those takeoff that fast? It didn't grow at all for a month and then 3" real quick.

Looks like the flower pot monti she had.(green w/blue polyps, purple rim m. cap) I'm not sure if that was in the main tank or not though.

Hmm. That is interesting I will look that up. This rock came from the sump.

Thanks Don

Now that I think of it. I believe she removed the colony from her tank when I got my frag from her. She may have placed a rock with a small piece in the sump and it survived with little light it got all this time. It's the big green cap with blue polyps right in the middle of my tank. I'm putting my $ here.:) If it is, it will get a nice purple edge under moderate light.;)

Now that I think of it. I believe she removed the colony from her tank when I got my frag from her. She may have placed a rock with a small piece in the sump and it survived with little light it got all this time. It's the big green cap with blue polyps right in the middle of my tank. I'm putting my $ here.:) If it is, it will get a nice purple edge under moderate light.;)

Cool. When I first spotted it, it was actually just a small patch of brown. I thought it was some ugly sponge or porities.

Wow was I wrong:eek:

Looks like the green with blue polyp plating monti - I got a frag from her and it's huge now. I have a pic from October - I can't get a current one because lights are out.

Attachments

• PICT1165 Medium Web view.jpg
    PICT1165 Medium Web view.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
I know what that is and it is some sort of M. danae. It will turn green under strong light and turn brown under lower light. I have two, both from Bec. I bought one piece and the other piece came from a piece of rock I bought from Bec. A candy pistol shrimp is another hitch hiker from that rock. The shrimp is pretty but I am only able to see it for several second once a month.

Daire I do not think it is that. Dong's description sounds more what it is.

Beck did mention M. danae too.

Back