Unexpected coral ID from Bec's tank

Looks like the green with blue polyp plating monti - I got a frag from her and it's huge now. I have a pic from October - I can't get a current one because lights are out.

Yup, that's the one.;) I guess we're going to have to wait for it to grow a bit to see who's got the right one.

Sounds good;) It does not encrust like a plating monti but then again I never had one from brown fuzz to coral.

Looks like the green with blue polyp plating monti - I got a frag from her and it's huge now. I have a pic from October - I can't get a current one because lights are out.

TomD
Not sure which one you have but the one Daire shows has sort of an interesting history.
If thats the coral I think it is, that coral came from a guy in CA back in 2002 or 2003. At the time it was probably one of the first blue polyp monitis in New England.
Bec got a very small piece about the size of the nail on your pinky. That was the only peice to survive.
Now it has grown from that small piece to what it is today. A coral owned by many in the BRS.

I don't remember his name. It was supposed to be a 2 inch frag but came in about 5 pieces. I traded that small piece to Bec for a frog fish she had. She grew it out to a beautiful colony.

what happened to the frog fish? also grew into a handsome prince?;)

The frog fish ended up with Mike from Aqua Addicts before he had the store. Not sure where it is now. :)

Marvin, I think you're right. I seem to remember a story about a frogfish.:D Tom, mine is not encrusting, it's plating. Unfortunately, I turned one of my bulkheads towards it a few weeks ago and it blew some of the flesh right off part of it! But it's healing up nicely. If this is what you got as a hitchhiker, nice score! Keep us posted as it grows. If it's this coral, it will grow pretty fast.

looks like this to me I think ;)

Attachments

• DSCN1341.JPG
    DSCN1341.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 217
looks like this to me I think ;)

That is exactly what it looks like now, just not as thick.

Thanks for all that info. guys. It will be interesting to see what happens for sure after that story.

When can we start placing bets:D

EDIT: WOW, that link that Don posted also looks just like it. First post, last pic. Since Bec had that, I am betting on it.

What is even more amazing is that I left it in the fuge for 3 weeks. I put it in the main while adding to rockwork and I thought it was a sponge. It was a couple of inches, brown, and fuzzy.

How does a coral live through all that?

Last edited:
Back