Vermetid snails... Everywhere

janet29

Non-member
I have a 29g biocube and noticed that I have vermetid snails everywhere.. I already sealed up the ones on the rocks but they seam to be in the sand bed all over the place.
Is there any way to kill them? Is it even worth the effort?

I have a bunch in my 120... can't say I've ever seen them in the sandbed, usually just on the rocks and the occassional frag plug/tile.

When I find them on a frag plug/tile I use a pair of needle-nose pliers and rip it off. I don't bother trying to seal all the tubes.

Other than them multiplying and possibly irritating corals (the line they send out) I don't think there is a real reason to get rid of them. Some posts I read mentioned lots of 'fishing lines' out at once in their tanks and it being unsightly, but I can't say I've seen that in my tank.

I would say what you are seeing in the sand bed is something else could you snap a pic?

I was thinking the same thing. There are a few different creatures that will grow in/on sand that might look similar, but IME vermitids are always attached to something more solid. Do the things you are talking about put out the typical vermitid feeding webs when the tank is fed?

Maybe she's seeing the worms that build their tube with sand particles? Not sure what they are called.

I ended up moving a candy cane because of vermetid mucus slime. It became all covered by the slime and closed up.

Vermetids are mostly confined to one side of tank. Any natural predators?

Maybe she's seeing the worms that build their tube with sand particles? Not sure what they are called.

Yes! That's what they do it looks like a tube but if u touch it it just retracts into the sand and falls apart. Haven't seen them put out any mucus

Here is a pic kind of hard to see but it's right by that back shell in the middle of the photo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355720216.566812.jpg

Here's a better pic online of what they look like when they are out
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355720262.111631.jpg

I think what you have are spaghetti worms. They are a good thing and a sign of a healthy tank. Think of them as part of your clean up crew.

I never gave these guys a second thought, but now I am curious...

Is this what you guys r talking about?

A clear stringy looking thing coming out of the sand?

worm-clear_zps05639800.jpg

Or this spaguetti looking strings;

red-lines_zpsb212933e.jpg

They don't seem to bother anything. But now I am wondering if I should be concerned...

Yup they're all good. If u look on reef cleaners they sell those as clean up crew

higroc, I was talking vermetids, which you have red arrows pointing at. These have the mucous feeding strings which irritate some of my corals. I also have the spaghetti worms in your next picture - no problems with those.

Janet,

I have this thing too ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355720262.111631.jpg and haven't seen anything bad out of it. Don't know what it is either.

vermetid snails will irritate and harm SPS in my experience. Ive lost a couple frags from these lil buggers. If you can destroy them I would, unfortunately I can not reach their tube to destroy them. Does anyone know of a predator to eat them...shrimp.

I researched for a predator of vermetid snails and didn't find many success stories on the boards. I had 1 large Marco style rock covered in the things (~500?) and maybe 20 spread onto other rock-work. So I just re-did 1/2 my rockwork to remove this particular rock hosting them. Then scraped those I found from other rocks. Still afraid they will continue to reproduce and spread, but maybe with fewer numbers I can limit them.

Back