Washing sand - anyone successful

thomb

thomb
Having to take down my setup temporarily for some repairs.
Anyone successfully washed sand for reuse or is this penny wise, pound foolish?

I have done it twice when moving or taking my tanks down. No issue what so ever. It just needs to be re-seeded when set back up.

Higor

I've done it. Ya should really spend a good amount of time doing it and get all the crap out of it. Personally with how cheap sand is from Marco and a few other places I would just get new. But it can be done successfully

I have done it with crushed coral using a kitchen collander. Sand is a little harder due to is smaller size. Maybe a very fine screen material can be used?

I have rinsed and boiled years past. Something to be mindful of if you have corals thought. "gasing off"

if you want to "wash" sand get a large container and put in the sand put a hose all the way to the bottom and let it run the organic crap will float to the top as the sand fluidizes. stir is alot to release all the organic matter you can. you will lose some sand but its important to get as much of the organic crap out as possible so dont worry about the sand loss too much. then let it dry on a tarp or something. if you leave it in the bucket it could tank weeks or longer to dry.

cilyjr has the right idea. done it and the process is time consuming but works. it will save you the 75 that youd pay for new sand it just depends if its worth your time and effort.

I had luck using a pillow case as the holder/strainer while using warm/hot water from the kitchen faucet to rinse it, and stirring it up with my hands til the water color draining out turned clear.

I had luck using a pillow case as the holder/strainer while using warm/hot water from the kitchen faucet to rinse it, and stirring it up with my hands til the water color draining out turned clear.

This is not a bad idea except any dead worms ect will most likely be trapped and they will decompose potentially causing ammonia as they break down

Back