What if I tell you......

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
that I'm thinking about leaving this hobby for a while.

I'm seriously considering breaking down the tank and leave the hobby until the time is right. I need to focus on school and the hobby can be quite a distraction. I need to set my priorities straight and school comes first.
Looking ahead, I'm expecting my Junoir year of Electrical Engineer will be the most challenging year(this is where most of the students decided to change major or drop out in my school). I'll have to think about my CapStone Project which is required to graduate. I dont think I'll have the time or the energy to take care of the tank even though I already have alot of stuff automated.
I know it's an unexpected decision when everything in my tank is thriving and I just got a Tunze Stream but I really need to get rid of this.
It has been very nice to get into this hobby. I've learned alot and alot of things and met alot of wonderful people who are willing to lend me their hand when I needed. But most important of all, this hobby taught me how to be patience. All it is in this hobby is patience.....
The next time I restart this hobby, it wont be a 37gallon tank, or a 75gal, or even a 125 gal. It will be a 300+gal full blown reef!! I dont know when but eventually I'll get there.

This is what it looks like now. I'll most likely be keeping most of the equipments for future use. What you guys suggest? The whole colony of the sps or frags? I'm pretty sure I'll have to frag the efflo since the whole colony would cost alot.
Sorry the clams can not be fragged :D
full_840_p38037.jpeg

If this is a "for sale" thread, lets sell the stuff in the appropriate forums. :)

But I say stay with it.
You've made it this far in school w/ the tank. You'll do well the next two years.
The tank can be a way to decompress from the pressures of exams and such. Keep it.

Damn amando, You're first on the list!
I wont be breaking down the tank until all of my finals are over. May 21 should be the last day of finals.

Sorry to hear of your plans, you have done such a nice job with your tank.... while understandable...it sounds as though you have a couple of busy years ahead, Moe makes a great point too! I would like to get in line for a frag of the efflo if you do end up going in that direction.

TIA,
Craig

Last edited:
Wow someone who's been a member here for a while mentions they're CONTEMPLATING about leaving the hobby, and out come the vultures only caring about the corals?? :confused: That's kinda messed up I think. This guy is probably having a really tough time making a decision about this and people are already forming a line for his livestock? Minh, it's too bad that you may have to get out, especially after just getting the Tunze set up. You won't even be able to see the long term improvements it will have made. Your tank is beautiful, and you obviously have a real knack for reefkeeping, but you do what you have to do sometimes. Best of luck if you do decide to break it down. You'll be back..........:)

I would say thats sux,but..... I work in Dracut and can be at your house in 5 minutes so be sure I don't miss the "selling" stuff thread OK :)

I hope you stay with it. You have a beautiful tank and I am sure it brings you relaxation. You should really think about taking it down. Just don't buy anymore for it and maintain it... you will miss it!

What about sticking with it, and doing something tank-related for your Junior Project or CapStone Project or whatever you have at your school? You could do an aquarium controller or some subset thereof perhaps. You'd need the tank as a testbed. Maybe it's a dumb idea, but thought I'd throw it out there.

--cn

it really is very nice...it would be a damn shame.
That said, vultures get nice coral ;)
What is the yellow and purple tizardi-esque corals to the left, front and back?
Even if you don't break down your tank, I'd like to pick a few corals exactly like that up.
Very cool!

My suggestion to you is to keep your reef tanks, and to stick through it. But I'd like the ID before you get too busy :D

If you do go through with it, and I hope you don't please save the blue clam for me.

Keep it!! You've got everything figured out and running well. I can't imagine it needs any fiddling or fine-tuning at this point, so you should be able to make do with about an hour/week of maintenance. And you'll need that time and then some to decompress. Lord knows you can't work 24 hours every day. Just think long and hard about it first. Spend a week seeing what sort of a routine you can get your tank down to, and think about whether you're enjoying the tank or resenting it for taking your time.

Nate

NateHanson said:
think about whether you're enjoying the tank or resenting it for taking your time.

Nate
well said Nate. Keep the tank going. :) I remember old post of how excited you were to get a few things in that tank.

Last edited:
Back