What if I tell you......

Keep it going! If you decide to throw in the towel, be selective of who you sell/give livestock to. There is a possibility that down the road you may be able to seed your future reef with pieces of the old one.

Best of luck either way.

Joe

Don't do it man

You turned this.
840_p37853.jpeg

into this

full_840_p38037.jpeg

You cant give that up. Just maintain don't add and it's very little work.:D

P.S.
I still love the blue Max

Dont do it, but if you have to, maybe some of us can hold stuff for you. You can get it back when you come back. People with big tanks.....

I have a small tank, and could probably hold stuff, but I can't guarantee I dont kill it,.

Mr. Slippery said:
Wow someone who's been a member here for a while mentions they're CONTEMPLATING about leaving the hobby, and out come the vultures only caring about the corals?? :confused: That's kinda messed up I think.

I got dibs on the tunze, just kidding. if I where you, id keep it and eventually upgrade . youll never get as much out of it as you put in, so why sell it?

I totally agree with NateHanson. I am also in my third year of college, but I am having just the opposite problem. My reef has been in the making for years now and there's still not even water in the tank! Just think of all the time and energy you spent choosing just the right corals, and keeping the parameters just right. I say stick with it, and if everything hits the fan, just look at how fast you can unload your stuff on BRS members. Good luck with your finals and your decision!
Chris

I think most people drop out of college because they get lost.
They're so busy running around dealing with the projects, papers
and everything else that takes up the day and creates the stresses
that they forget about the reasons they're there in the first place.
They forget the big picture.

It's EXACTLY at times like that in your life that you need, indeed MUST have,
an outlet. An activity that gives you a release and reminds you of the things
that you value personally. It is that core, that joy you get from those activities
that help you survive the hard stressfull times.

Now reefs are a demanding hobby and you will have to assess whether in the short run
this will add more stress to your life or it will help you anchor.

If you give it up make sure you find something else to replace it.

C

dude, minh! what are you thinking? your tank has come a long way. i know college can be tough, but you got your head on straight so I think you'll be alright. Think about it long and hard. But it's your decision.

I think there are a number of us on the board that have graduated from Engineering programs. I never found that school became any easier until I graduated and was done with it.

That said, if you are the type of person who can take a hands off approach to the tank, I would say keep it. You may get some algae growth, your corals may not grow as quickly, or expand as much, but it is good for relaxation.

If those things will drive you nuts and you have to frag out the large coral, clean the glass, remove the algae, etc, etc then I think you will find that you won't have the time.

Do a huge frag-fest sometime when you've got a few free hours (heck I'd even sell your frags for you so you don't have to coordinate with people). Buy your girlfriend something pretty so she'll stick around through the busy times, and then you'll be set to just concentrate on school, and watch your reef thrive with minimal maintenance for the next year or two.

Im working full time, and going to college at night so I feel your pain...but when you get through it, it is so rewarding...keep the tank! its doing so well...

jmkeary said:
Do it feed the vultures! LOL

Dude that avatar is a riot!!!!! I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, I'm just trying to think about it from his perspective. I get pissed sometimes about my reef, it can be a pest at times, but what I do is think about it not being there, and having just a chair or something in it's place. :eek: Now a chair isn't worthy of your time sitting in front of it, and your friends don't go "oooooh, that rocker is SICK!!!!", or "check out that microsuede":p

Mihn do what you feel you need to do. IMO School and a future are more important than any fish tank.

IMO give a few pieces of each coral to reefers you know will take care of them and sell the rest. That way when you come back (you know you will be back ;) ) you will get your corals back...

Mihn good luck with whatever you decide you know what is right for you...

PJ

I don't want to rush you in your decision, but if you want to publish the list, i'm ready and waiting :D

Back