Whats going on with New England Reefers?

SteveDola

Good Tings
BRS Member
Its really been bugging me lately, the amount of people that are commenting on fellow reefer's(not LFS) asking price of items. If the person doesnt say "OBO" then dont comment, dont invoke your opinion, dont low ball, just keep your mouth closed. ITS NOT YOUR PLACE to complain. It just makes yourself look petty, ignorant, and cheap.

Flame me all you want but Im sick and tired of holding my tongue.

Its really been bugging me lately, the amount of people that are commenting on fellow reefer's(not LFS) asking price of items. If the person doesnt say "OBO" then dont comment, dont invoke your opinion, dont low ball, just keep your mouth closed. ITS NOT YOUR PLACE to complain. It just makes yourself look petty, ignorant, and cheap.

Flame me all you want but Im sick and tired of holding my tongue.

Not to mention Steve that those kinds of comments may detract someone else from buying whatever it is the seller is selling.

I agree. If you can get it somewhere else cheaper just quietly go get it. Don't try and jack the seller!

"Penny wise, pound foolish".
Seems to be the common theme around here.
It seems some folks will bitc# and moan about a $20 frag, but don't have a problem paying National Grid $100/mo for the elec. for their tank.

Seeing someone b**ch about Kiahs TANK RAISED bangiis broke the proverbial straw.

Didnt their mother ever teach them, if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all. Im the first in line for a good deal but dont think its right to haggle people down 25 bucks.

I agree, It's just bad form. If you did want to be so crass as to make an offer when there's no OBO......do it through PM.

When I've found a price to be out of line with my pricing sensibilities, that's what I do.......

I might also point out that making any comments other than something pertaining to "I'm interested in buying your item" is against our rules. For sale threads are considered to be the thread starters turf, and it's not appropriate to point out problems with the products being offered or the price being asked.

That goes for positive and negative comments alike. Please don't post "Steve's a really good guy", or "Your frags are the size and color of mouse poop". Neither comment relates directly to your buying the item for sale.

This is a very common mistake that the mods are correcting lately. Avoiding it would help us out (and save Steve from having to stick his dirty hands in his mouth all the time).

Gotta agree here. Although I do believe in getting value for what I spend I don't think it's right to butt into other peoples transactions. If I don't think it's worth I pass no need to comment or be rude. If some one wants to pay then that's between them and the seller.

that reminds me...i need to clean under my nails.;)

jk- i have no nails from gnawing on them all the time. argg

Nate,

What about threads by people that have no intrest in purchasing an item but pipe in to a buddies thread on what a great deal it is, we have some that do it all the time. Don't know why but it really bugs me.

Jim

Last edited:
That also should not be done Jim. The FS threads should not be cluttered with comments by people who aren't buying or selling the item that's for sale.

That said, we probably miss more positive comments in threads than negative comments, because the thread starters (and others) are more likely to report negative posts to us. What we'd like, though, is for neither negative or positive comments to be made in FS posts. Just stick to buying or selling. Before you post, ask yourself, "Am I considering buying this item?" If the answer is "no", then just skip the comment, and move on.

Also, if you see a post that you think doesn't belong, please report it to us, rather than making a follow-up comment in the thread (which is perhaps in defense of the poster, but no less off-topic than the first offending post). If you report a post, we're usually very quick to look into it. I doubt that an hour often goes by between 6am and midnight without a moderator looking at the board.

I agree that "buddy posts" that say so-and-so is a great guy, great frags, blah, blah blah should be modded. This freindly marketing hype (generally) adds no value and can be used as a tag team to promote a freinds corals that may not otherwise sell. It also gives the post a bump and pushes other (more important/serious) posts down on the list and that isn't fair to other BRS members.

I was at a members house with another member on a coral buy when we were asked to post on what a great purchase it was.

Jim

What most people need to remember about TR animals is that they usually cost more to raise than what they are being sold for. The purpose of the seller is the challenge and the satisfaction one gets with the finished product.
Just my .02 worth.

I know the first post said not LFS, but to be honest it is even worse on the LFS level. For the last 5-6 years I have never seen it so bad. Almost nobody is happy paying the price on the tanks. And this goes for evry LFS that I know. Even Jays and Aqaua Addicts which have much lower overheads than some bigger LFS. And there prices are WAY below normal/average reatail prices, and people still try and haggle the price. I just don't get it. You don't walk into best buy and haggle over a HD TV or a DVD player, but there is nothing in an LFS that I haven't seen (with my own eyes) someone try and argue or haggle the price. You don't even go into a petco or petsmart and try and pull that crap yet time and time again good LFS (sponsors even) get haggled or flamed for their pricing. Maybe this has carried over to the personal sales as well or vice versa. Now I am not against anyone trying to get a good deal, but from what I have seen almost anything on the boards for sale is already a good deal. I guess some people are never happy. (unless they are getting over on someone else) And it is a shame that a small % of people cast a large shadow on such a large group.
my $.02

-B-

Back