Which el cheapo light fixture

shanet1975

Non-member
Morning...
I have been posting a bit on here lately and everyone has been more than helpful and I really appreciate it.
I have been looking for a decent used 30 light fixture here and there and have had no luck. I am also on a tight budget to get my 56 tall up and running. I have found 2 that I can swing that look ok, but one is an Odyssea and the other I don't know. Out of these two does anyone recommend which one may be better than the other?
I know, I know, my house will burn down and they will break and all, but really, this is all I can swing and I do want to house coral at some point....
Thank you for your time again!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290547635328&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380318334710&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Lighting is one of the most important aspects of keeping a reef tank IMO
I would just save a little more or buy a good used fixture from the forum like suggested in your other thread.
If you don't have corals yet why rush? You don't need light to cycle, I'd rather do it right the first time personally.

Thanks for the reply. This is true. It's hard to find a 30 inch fixture. And my tank has a center support strip so a oendant wouldn't work well. What is a decent t5 fixture? Also, would 4 bulbs do the trick if the tank is that deep?

Depends on what you want to keep really. 4 bulb should be good for most softies, mushrooms, zoas or lps. If you want to do sps or clams you would probably need more light or keep them all up high. T5 is prob the best option for lighting as it tends to be cheaper and more efficient than MH lighting. You'll see a fair amount of fixtures for sale in the forum for reasonable prices

Thank you. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I see alot of 24 inch and 36 inch fixtures. Would 36 stick over too much, and same for the 24, but opposite?

the adv plus light is odyssea's new line of lights. the other one is a ......dont know what it is or who makes it. the odyssea is a decent cheap light. you should have no problems with it. not gonna impress anyone, but you will be able to do most any coral if you want to. (assuming other things are done right. water calcium alk...)

Quit frankly,a 56 tall would make a lousy reef tank,especially with a center brace.
So,I would rethink that first before buying any lights.

Thank you. Not much need to impress yet. But it should be decent with a mixture of the mh and the blue t5's correct?

I'll be honest with you, I picked up a 250mh with 4 t5ho and led fixture for a few hundred off of eBay 6 months ago. It's a no name fixture and I know you get what you pay for, but I am rather pleased with it.

Everything is tight, well put together, all wires are sealed and have a protective wrap on them. MH ballast is electronic and the ushio 14k in it has the same color as ones in expensive fixtures (not the yellowish shade that some cheap ballasts give it).

The way I looked at it is that if the ballast ever died, I could replace it and still be under the price range of a named brand.

While I'm not trying to talk you into buying one, and I have read absolute horror stories about eBay fixtures, you should really do your homework before you pull the pin. Read the feedback, good and the bad, look at the warranty, and then look at what replacement parts would cost you.

Have you looked at Aquatraders.com? I bought a 24" Metal Halide fixture for my 20G nano tank 2 years ago and their new line of lighting works awesome.

I never had one issue and the ballast (which was the main complaint years ago) is modernized and safe. Of course their bulbs leave a little to be desired but you can add a quality lamp and you're in business!

I'm pretty sure aquatraders sells odyssea fixtures. I would personally look at running MHs with T5 supplements if that was my tank.

They are all Odyssea light and made by the same company in southern China. The company is big and rumor has it that it makes Coralife OEM as well.
If you are going to buy Coralife or Current fixture, you may better off with Odyssea to save some money. If you go with German fixture such as AquaMedic, you get better build quality and material (Solid Aluminum vs thin painted steel). The fans in Odyssea fixture tend to die quickly or get noisy fast.

I'll throw in another vote for, "no need to rush, so wait for something on the for sale forums here." Otherwise you know what will happen. You'll buy something and the next day you'll see a better light for sale for less money. Doh! :)

I was wondering if 24 inch would be enough. He mentions a 30 x 30 but it looks shallow..Mine is 24 inches deep. Any thoughts. I was thinking about getting a 4 bulb for now and then just adding a 2 bulb down the road. But if 24 would work, that opens up the posibilities :)

Yes! Aquactinics is a high quality t5 fixture. like mentioned in your other thread I've had every size they make besides the 72inch, I currently run the 48inch version.

Back