Which el cheapo light fixture

Well now I'm in a pickle. I found 2 lights and hoping someone can let me know which would be better. The first is 125 bucks it is 36" tek light 6x39 fixture. Works mint. The second is the post on here for the TX5 24" Aquatinics T5 5 bulb Light for I think it was 200.
Someone please help!!! :)

Well now I'm in a pickle. I found 2 lights and hoping someone can let me know which would be better. The first is 125 bucks it is 36" tek light 6x39 fixture. Works mint. The second is the post on here for the TX5 24" Aquatinics T5 5 bulb Light for I think it was 200.
Someone please help!!! :)

I would go with the Aquactinics fixture if I were you. Have you considered the LED route? Marineland doublebright fixtures are supposed to be able to support lower light corals like softies, z&p, LPS. They make one thats adjustable from 24'' to 36''. Also they are only 5'' wide so you could always add a second one if it's not enough light.

Yes but theres a smaller version at 24''-36''.

Although, I do agree with a previous post that lighting is very important. When it comes to lighting and skimmers you truly do get what you pay for. I second saving your money for a better fixture. Check out the AI SOL super blue module. I have four of these for the tank I'm starting. A little pricey but I'm sure you could get away with only one module.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what type of corals you want to keep and where you place them.
Zs & Ps=Yes, mid to high
Softies=Yes, anywhere
LPS=Some, high
Anemones=Some
SPS=No
Clams=No

I'll check out some youtube videos and see how a tank looks with them. Do you have one of these yourself?

Yes but I use it on my QT tank because it's the only fixture I could find for a 20'' tank. Keep in mind that the glass is painted black on three sides.
QUARANTINETANK.jpg

Would like to order this soon if it is good enough to house coral.
It is the 211.00 one. If it'll be as good as a 4 bulb t5 I'll go for it. If not I won't. :)

Back