WTF, LOA 65w fixtures interfering w each other

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
This strange. I just built a rack with two tanks, one above the other , both lit by LOA 65w fixtures.

The lights appear to interfere with each other's operation.

Both work fine, but they will not work at the same time, near each other. Plug one in and it works, plug the second one in and it turns on but the first one goes off. They are connected to different 15A circuits, I've checked all the connections several times, and I have even moved them all around the house, both work fine unless they are within a couple of feet of each other.

Can anybody explain this?

Not an Electrical Engineer but could play one on TV

My guess EMF (Electromagnetic frequency interference). Fluorescent tubes emit RF as well as a byproduct of excited mercury vapor. Could be RF from one tube is interfereing with Rf from the other?

Better explanation than I had.

Is this dangerous at all (to me, to livestock, firehazard)?

As long as it's not a saftey problem it's fine for my set up since one of the two tanks is a reverse daylight cycle overhead refuge, and the other is a OT/hospital (so the lights don't need to be on at the same times anyway).

Thanks
jk

"you sure its not the daylight optical sensor......."
I second that thought!
they come with an optional black lens you can change out ot ...there's always tape.

the new ones (i just got one) are coming with a black lens installed and a clear one separate. Makes more sense this way.

Optical sensor.............

that's really funny. I was wondering what thing was for. I'll get some tape.

live and learn

jk

Yup, 2" of electrical tape fixed it.

thanks everybody

I did the same stuid thing a few weeks ago! Optical sensor was the problem.

haha, glad we could be of assistance. tell you the truth I was still trying to figure out the problem before someone mentioned that. I was going to suggest sheilded wires

Back