Your Thoughts on a DIY Auto Top Off

Flame Angel

Past BRS Pres/2016MOD
Staff member
So, tell me what you think about this set up. Do you think it will work for a short time without issue.

I have a 5 gallon jug of RODI setting on top of an inverted 5 gallon bucket which sits on top of my coffee table. I have an 1/8" hose inserted into the 5 gallon jug of RODI water which empties into the sump. The hose has a knot in it as if you were aclimating which drops a drop of water every 15 second into the sump.

I have over filled my sump by 1" which I know I will get about 4-5 days out of and I need to stretch that to about 8-10 days. The 5 gallon jug has about 4 gallons of RODI in it.

As crude at this is... Do you feel it will work and be sufficient enough for 8-10 days?

Thoughts? Don't be yelling at me now. Just looking for a cheap quick fix. I only really add about a gallon of water a week at most.

Last edited:
30$ float switch spliced into extension cord, 20$ lifter pump, 1/4" airline tube.

Water drops below float switch, turns on lifter pump feeding water to sump.

Reservoir is 5gal Poland spring jug with a hole in the cap for 1/4" airline.

Works like a charm. I soak my float switch in hot vinegar water every 2 weeks. Hasn't failed yet and Im picking up another set up for my other tank.

If you don't want the pump to switching ON and OFF often, use timer to turn ON the pump X minute for every Y hour. I have 55G tank and my auto top off pump turns ON 15 min every 3 hrs.

Float switch turns lifter pump on when there is a 1/8" difference in water level. 1/8" difference isn't going to cause the pump to come on and off repeatedly. It's on for no more than 5 mins every 2 hours and salinity never changes more that .001.

i think it would be a good short term fix, not long term tho but you probly already knew that.

p.s. when ya setting up that raft....LOL

Back