treating ich without- chemicals?

update: the yellow tang is eating plenty of nori buttered with mashed garlic and loving it. He has no signs of parasites, except 1 eye is cloudy. The cream angel is still staying in seclusion and still not eating. ( i tried catching him tonight, too many rocks). I cant even get a good look at him. I raised the tank temp from 77 to 80 over several hours (only at 79 now) and i lowered the salinity 1.22.
A salinity of 1.22 won't eradicate Ich. do you have corals, inverts, etc. in the tank or is it FO/FOWLR?

A cloudy eye isn't a good sign either.

Matt:cool:

yes i have corals mostly softies. I have plenty of hermit crabs. I thought since the parasites arent on the tang it was a good thing. Isnt the eye cloud just stress too. I thought since the tang is eating and the parasites arent visible he might shake the eye cloud?

As far as I know raising tank temperature is only useful in freshwater tanks infested with ich.In a saltwater tank it will just help the ich cyst to hatch earlier.This only helps if the tank is being run fallow and you want the ich cycle to run it's coarse.

Fallow means(no fish)in the tank for 6-8 weeks.
Fallow is an old farmer's term for leaving a field unplanted for a season.It seems to have found it's way into reefing lingo.
This article helped me out a lot when I had a break out of Ich last year.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

I had a Scopas tang that developed ich after a few days in my display(foolish and didn't QT the fish).
I too tried garlic,fed well..ect..ect.Thefish actually got better and I was like...wow...this really works.That was until the second wave.It never stood a chance.
After that I pulled out all the fish and did hypo on them while I left the tank empty for 7 weeks.I pulled every ounce of rock out of my tank,even had to shake the lawn mower blenny loose from one rock.

A cloudy eye can be signs of ich infection.Ich will latch on to the eye as well as gills and scales.
It's a horrible parasite well suited for captive systems.I'm sure if there was a quick and easy remedy for it you would read in the paper about America's next millionare that invented it.

I still think skunk shrimp and garlic is the way to go. We've been doing it for YEARS. chop up the garlic small enough so they can eat it. they key is to MAKE SURE THEY'RE EATING!
the skunk will take care of the rest. Also cleaner wrasses are good too.

ich

I would definately just use the garlic. I have had this problem and in my opinion you stress out the fish even more trying to cure it with chemicals and other drastic measures and things get worse. Honestly it may go away it may die. 50/50. this can happen with some angels and tangs when you first get them from the stress of new environments and shipping etc.If the fish settles in it will go away. The key is to try and keep the fish eating and keep the water paramiters steady and clean.

I would definately just use the garlic. I have had this problem and in my opinion you stress out the fish even more trying to cure it with chemicals and other drastic measures and things get worse. Honestly it may go away it may die. 50/50. this can happen with some angels and tangs when you first get them from the stress of new environments and shipping etc.If the fish settles in it will go away. The key is to try and keep the fish eating and keep the water paramiters steady and clean.
I agree that tearing a tank apart to capture a fish will only make it worse, and that the stress of capture and handling can exacerbate the illness.

However, if you are serious about eradicating Ich from your system, then a hospital tank is the only way to go. If done right, it will not stress the fish out.

Matt:cool:

New update:
The yellow tangs eye cloud is gone and no parasites at all!!! He never lost his appetite and ate alot of the nori buttered with garlic.
The cream angel is still staying hidden, and still not eating. I still cant catch him. It doesnt look to good. At least i was able to save the tang.

Keep in mind that having the spots disappear is part of the normal life cycle of ICK. This is one of the many reasons for misinformation on this topic - people often try "snake oil" cures then see the spots disappear in a couple of days.

(Not trying to be negative, just offering a reality check ;) )

I'd suggest reading up on the stickies on the top of the "fish disease" forum on reefcentral.

FWIW, I second pretty much everything that Matt and Bob have said;
Ick can be eradicated, OR it can be managed but not eradicated. Either approach has it's risks and merits. Also, UV, cleaners, slight hypo (anything higher than 1.008-1.009), elevated temp, garlic and any "reef safe" treatments WILL NOT eradicate the parisite - these will all help to manage ick but will not kill it off.

Also, at the least there IS some debate about cleaner fish/shrimp. It has at least been said that the cleaners don't really do much for the parisites and that the cleaners mostly just clean dead/damaged skin/tissue from the fish. I can't claim to know for sure the actual facts (I don't think anyone knows %100 for sure), but it is another debate to consider.

In the end, you've got to decide weather your goal is to eradicate or manage the parisite. That decision will guide what will and will not make sense/help. When people are unclear on their goal bad things often happen.

If you happen to decide to opt to try and catch and treat all your fish (?) I can loan you fish traps and possibly a hosptial set up. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk about that.

Best of luck
jk

Thanks John. I'm going to continue to treat with garlic, and look at a UV sterilizer. I thought since the eye cloud went away and the tang is eating well his antibodies controlled the ick. I havent found the angel yet, it's probably in the big ocean in the sky, i got to get it out of there. I read the article the other guys sent me. I think i have a full understanding of the little buggers.
Thanks again.

Back