275g Oasis Build

Where did you get the suction cups to move the tank? I might be needing a set shortly.

They were borrowed from a fellow reefer -- unfortunately I do not have his BRS handle. Speaking of which ... I need to ship these back to him! Whoops! :(

Looks great.

Is there really no vertical support in the front center of the stand?
24821954175_4a55107610_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great.

Is there really no vertical support in the front center of the stand?
24821954175_4a55107610_z.jpg

Thanks John!

Yep -- as of now there isn't; but we'll be installing a "removable" support once everything is in place. It would've been a serious PITA if not impossible to fit the sump in the stand if the vertical bar was already in-place.

Very excited for you Archit! Will be following the progress.
I was just wondering how (or if) you secured your rock, is there common adhesive that reefers use for this purpose?

Very excited for you Archit! Will be following the progress.
I was just wondering how (or if) you secured your rock, is there common adhesive that reefers use for this purpose?

:) The rocks aren't secured at all! :) I just like to place them so it's a stable structure. There are a couple of rocks that are "somewhat" not stable, and for those I'll be using a putty. I keep staring at it and not sure if I like it as much as I thought I did though ... I really wish the rock work was "taller" ... I'll assess once the whole thing is up and running.

Wow that is one sexy build Archit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! :)

Nice tank Archit.
Your new tank and Nick's next tank will be all over the place on this forum in the next few months.
Hopefully this will enable this brs site to compete with reef2reef and/or reefcentral forums.

Sent from the moon using Tapatalk

Try making it higher in the middle then try the ends. You may like one or the other better.

Will try!

Nice tank Archit.
Your new tank and Nick's next tank will be all over the place on this forum in the next few months.
Hopefully this will enable this brs site to compete with reef2reef and/or reefcentral forums.

Sent from the moon using Tapatalk

Thank you for the kind words, but I highly doubt my tank can come even close to Nicks :) He has the artistic touch and I have always loved his tanks (a real inspiration for me personally -- his ELOS was my inspiration for this tank to be honest). Might even get a gigantea after looking at the ones in his tank!

On a side note -- finished my plumbing last night and filled the tank up finally ..... only to notice a huge issue ...... a real real rookie mistake on my part :( ... the tank is not level!!!!! that's what I get for being over-excited lol So today we will drain the tank, jack up the stand and get it level. AAAhhhhhhhh joys of setting up a new tank. Also as anticipated, water in the tank has a big green tint to it from all the "junk" rocks are releasing. So like I always say, look at everything as a blessing in disguise! I'll use this opportunity to change 75% of the water in the tank -- then plug in my carbon, gfo and skimmer to start clearing up the water.

If everything goes per plan, I'm anticipating first live stock to be added in 2-3 weeks.

Haven't even though about what to add yet :p

Archit,
Thanks for the kind words. You are already a step ahead of me lol. I have no motivation whatsoever with this kind of weather to set up anything new.
I always have issue with leveling the tank. Even the tank is perfectly level with shims and what not when it's dry, after you fill it, you'll find it shift and you have to empty it and adjust.
I really like how you dry scape your tank. I'm also planning on doing this but with cured rocks, I can't take my sweet a** time and will need a lot of drums for premixed ready to use water.
For some reason, I'm not looking forward to all this. :D I wonder how long I can keep the tank in the crate in the garage until the wife calls someone to move it out.
Keep up the great work. Can't wait to be filled with livestock and maybe a gigantea or two.

Just a very small and quick update.

Finished all the plumbing, hooked up the return pump, skimmer, heater, apex. Couldn't bare the sight of not having ANYTHING living (aside from bacteria of course) in the system, so dropped in some macro algae with a light on the sump. Also with the help of Yorgos (Love The Reef), I was able to level my stand + tank. The car jack broke trying to lift the stand and tank -- good thing I bought a 2 ton jack 5 years ago that I had never ever used until now hah!

Everything has been running well for around 2 weeks I think? I have lost concept of time now lol

Asked someone else to help me with my lights after having waited pointlessly for over 4 months for the original person to finish them -- hopefully we'll have them over the tank in 2-3 weeks :)

AHH!! And my wife noticed my disappointment in the rock work and took it upon herself to fix it for me!!!! BAMN!! You'll notice the overall structure is slightly higher and pushed back, with a lot more top shelves for my SPS colonies now. Although I liked the previous landscape because it did look more "open", I was worried that I might fry my LPS if I crank the light too high to keep SPS happy in the lower parts of the tank. We'll add some more rock towards the front of the tank and build small rock clusters to give it a depth perspective. There's good 1'-2' of space from the rock to the front of the tank, and we still have open space in the back for fish and flow. Aaaanndd since my wife did it, it's a lot more stable now!

New rock work:

25261150436_dcb09a142f_z.jpg

Full system:

25261163756_75d3b13b77_z.jpg

And yes ... that's baby gate in the front because I started finding very strange things in my sump ...... bubble wrap .... PVC fittings .... loc lines .... styrofoam .... ..... yeah lol Can't wait to get doors!

- Archit

Last edited:
That setup is going to be superb. The plus side of no doors on the sump right now is that you can see and appreciate how clean and organized all the equipment is under there.

Archit, very nice system.
I am just curious, why didn't you go for 8'?

According to Miracles, they can't fit a 8' tank on lift gate -- the max they can do is 7' ... and unfortunately I didn't have access to a loading dock, or a truck, or a crew for too long of a time to get a 8' tank. So 7' it is ... although I would have LOVED a 8 footer :)

That setup is going to be superb. The plus side of no doors on the sump right now is that you can see and appreciate how clean and organized all the equipment is under there.

Thank you! :) This is the first time I have had such a big sump and all the room in the world under the tank! :) So most definitely very very psyched!

That tank is a beauty. Very similar to the size tank I one day want to setup myself which is 300g wide. This tank will be incredible when its jammed packed. Good luck with it!

Some quick updates ... :)

We added our clownfish that have been my babies for years now, into this new tank last week. Last night my wife was staring at the tank, and said to me .... "this looks very open, artificial, with not enough room for fish to hide. I don't like it!" so, yet again, we made some rock work changes last night :p

Today was the super exciting part!

25034217033_decf4360ab_z.jpg

25634802646_5b8d04136f_z.jpg

We killed our pseudo lights for the day after adding the fish, but I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. Hopefully all these bad boys come out!

So as of today, live stock in our tank includes:

2 x Sustainable Aquatics Ultra Snowflake clown fish (my babies of years!)
2 x Helfrichi firefish
2 x Lined Dartfish
Pair (male + female) Flame Wrasse
2 x Cleaner Shrimp
3 x Fighting Conch

Whoopee!! :D

- Archit

Back