55 Gallon Zoa Only Tank Build

Hey Fishindude, I am going to be doing the same thing with my 40 breeder. Foam/rock wall over the overflow. What really inspired me/ made me think it was possible was this thread on RC, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1437901&highlight=foam+rock+wall. It looks like this lady had a lot of success with the method she used. I am using the touch n foam pond foam filler, i had to order it online, but it seems like the safest stuff.

Wow, very cool thread. It definitely got me thinking about some things. Thanks for posting! I may not need to use as much rock if I do more of the sand spreading like she and Kannin did. I am always skeptical about how solid it will be after the foam though, I plan on using a lot more rock than that showed. I know she said she would add more though... It is my main worry at this point that it will collapse or something due to weight.

Currently, I am cycling some rubble rock in a bucket. Next steps are to cut the sheets to size and pick out some equipment... the expensive part...

I am always skeptical about how solid it will be after the foam though, I plan on using a lot more rock than that showed. I know she said she would add more though... It is my main worry at this point that it will collapse or something due to weight.

Like you said, I would go with more rock like you planed. That would suck going through all that work to have your established system fall apart over time due to weight. Its going to look awesome when it is done.

Like you said, I would go with more rock like you planed. That would suck going through all that work to have your established system fall apart over time due to weight. Its going to look awesome when it is done.

It is the amount of rock I am worried about. When all is said and done, I will have close to 70 pounds on the walls if I go as planned now. That is a lot of weight for egg crate to handle! I will probably do a sample piece to see how well the foam does and how well the epoxy does and go from there. Maybe a combination of both too. You're right... I would cry if I had it going and then one day it just collapsed, broke the glass, dumped 55 gallons of water (on the top floor!), etc. That would be a bad day!

70lbs on the walls thats alot of weight! Also the foam is lower density and would float....... with filling the cracks/spaces in the rock with the foam should help offset some the weight of the rock on the wall (just have no idea to what extent) also i know from the previous posts you planned on doing all three walls, if all three walls are connected it will also support the weight of all the rock on the back wall. And if all 3 walls are connected nice and tight it should be able to stand on its own.

70lbs on the walls thats alot of weight! Also the foam is lower density and would float....... with filling the cracks/spaces in the rock with the foam should help offset some the weight of the rock on the wall (just have no idea to what extent) also i know from the previous posts you planned on doing all three walls, if all three walls are connected it will also support the weight of all the rock on the back wall. And if all 3 walls are connected nice and tight it should be able to stand on its own.

I am going to try to connect them into two large corner pieces as I can't do one big wall due to the center brace. Unless I can remove the brace...?

If you can remove the center brace I would do that (I have no idea if you can or not), the center of the tank is going to be the focal point if you can make the the whole back one solid piece that would be great. If not there is going to be that seam going up the center.

Do you plan on adhering the rock to the egg crate outside the tank then placing the constructed wall inside the tank....... or are you going to build the walls inside the tank after the egg crate walls are up?

If you can remove the center brace I would do that (I have no idea if you can or not), the center of the tank is going to be the focal point if you can make the the whole back one solid piece that would be great. If not there is going to be that seam going up the center.

Do you plan on adhering the rock to the egg crate outside the tank then placing the constructed wall inside the tank....... or are you going to build the walls inside the tank after the egg crate walls are up?

The walls have to be built outside the tank upon further research as the foam needs to be covered with sand in order to look attractive. Plus the precision will be better. Right now I have the sheets cut into 4 main sections (2 back 2 sides) and I will use rock to adhere them all together once in the tank (using epoxy). I also have to very small "ends" that go toward the glass on both sides so you cannot see in back through the gap formed.

Wall Sample

This is the size rock I am using... this is prior to cutting. The sheets are 48" long.

Attachments

• Wall.jpg
    Wall.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 609
  • Wall2.jpg
    Wall2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 602
The walls have to be built outside the tank upon further research as the foam needs to be covered with sand in order to look attractive. Plus the precision will be better. Right now I have the sheets cut into 4 main sections (2 back 2 sides) and I will use rock to adhere them all together once in the tank (using epoxy). I also have to very small "ends" that go toward the glass on both sides so you cannot see in back through the gap formed.

Plus it would be easier to outside the tank, i would think. Are you going to use the black foam or tan color?

Plus it would be easier to outside the tank, i would think. Are you going to use the black foam or tan color?

Black foam and then use the epoxy and sand method like above... black will let me see what I covered better.

I wouldnt worry too much about the weight. Do what she did and use some buttresses to support the structure.

I wouldnt worry too much about the weight. Do what she did and use some buttresses to support the structure.

I probably won't have much room for a buttress to support from the back (maybe 2-3 inches), but the more I think about it, the more I think the sides will support and hold up the back walls. It is more toward the center that will need the support. Perhaps I can remove the center brace I can easily make it one piece but if not, I can still work with it once it is in place in the tank.

I probably won't have much room for a buttress to support from the back (maybe 2-3 inches), but the more I think about it, the more I think the sides will support and hold up the back walls. It is more toward the center that will need the support. Perhaps I can remove the center brace I can easily make it one piece but if not, I can still work with it once it is in place in the tank.

You do not need any room in the back for the buttress supports. You just need to create 2 or 3 rock pillars to lean/attach against the wall to push it towards the back glass.

I did something similiar. Make sure you figure out your powerhead placement before you glue things up...

IMG_0910.jpg

You do not need any room in the back for the buttress supports. You just need to create 2 or 3 rock pillars to lean/attach against the wall to push it towards the back glass.

I was planning on it freestanding away from the back glass. Do you mean have it at an angle?

I did something similiar. Make sure you figure out your powerhead placement before you glue things up...

That is my next focus for cutting. I made one cut already for a return, but am figuring out placement of the other 2 powerheads. I was thinking corner to corner?

you should build the power heads in to the rock on the side walls..... to bad vortex cost so much.

I won't have it completely built in, more around if you know what i mean?

Back