Advice for a newbie

Is it normal for a yellow tang to just hang ot behind a rock most of the time?? he eats and doesnt look sick. He will occasionally swim fast through the tank kicking up sand and then right back to the same spot. is this odd behavior??
how long has the fish been in the tank?
if it's a newcomer, it may take a while to become used to its surroundings. it may be shy for a few weeks.
could other fish be picking on the yellow tang?

how long has the fish been in the tank?
if it's a newcomer, it may take a while to become used to its surroundings. it may be shy for a few weeks.
could other fish be picking on the yellow tang?

he is the newest yes. He hasnt been picked on that i know. I dont have the parameters. I will get the water tested again and give yall the info. thanks

Don't add anything new until you see what the water looks like. If you moved an established tank chances are it is going through some kind of cycle and if that is the case you should be doing big PWC's to keep the amonia down.

Don't add anything new until you see what the water looks like. If you moved an established tank chances are it is going through some kind of cycle and if that is the case you should be doing big PWC's to keep the amonia down.

Ok. I just did a test. Nitrite 0, copper .05 ph 8.0 and ammonia .25. What should i do other than change water??

Last edited:
Do a good water change. .25 is toxic to all fish/inverts. Need to get it lower.

Also, what are you testing salt with? .0235? What is the exact reading?

1.235?

Ok. I just did a test. Nitrite 0, copper .05 ph 8.0 and ammonia .25. What should i do other than change water??

Do a good water change. .25 is toxic to all fish/inverts. Need to get it lower.

Also, what are you testing salt with? .0235? What is the exact reading?

1.235?

just did a 10% change. Will do another tomorrow. As for salinity it was right between 1.023 and 1.024. its a SeaTest meter.

Ok that is a good salinity.

And just keep monitoring the amonia and try to get it as low as possible without shocking or stressing the fish more. Any reading is toxic. Try to get it lower than .5 at least and feed light. Definetely do not add any new additions.

Ok that is a good salinity.

And just keep monitoring the amonia and try to get it as low as possible without shocking or stressing the fish more. Any reading is toxic. Try to get it lower than .5 at least and feed light. Definetely do not add any new additions.

Ok. thanks so much for your help.

Ok. thanks so much for your help.

Just did another water change. It seems to be going down but the ammonia is still there (less than .25) Is it ok to keep changing water or will it stress fish? What else can i get to help? Chemicals, inverts, plants, etc?? I don't wanna hurt my fish.

Also what is the ideal temp for a SW tank??

They have amaquil (Not sure of spelling) and you can add a little Prime. I would not change the water more than 1 tie daily. I would be doing a little every day. That high is still very toxic to the fish. Watch for them breathing heavy.

They have amaquil (Not sure of spelling) and you can add a little Prime. I would not change the water more than 1 tie daily. I would be doing a little every day. That high is still very toxic to the fish. Watch for them breathing heavy.

Ok. I did put some prime in. I also have Cycle. As for the changes I have been doing 10% once a day the last three days. None seems to be breathing heavy but the Tang just hangs in one spot then swims around for a minute looking at itself in the glass then back to its spot. The others seem fine. All eating well and swimming. Even the beta swims alot more than before.

Well I have had a few ups and downs (I lost my tang) but the water is getting better quality reading and the one frag of coral i put in is starting to spread!!!

Back