Advice on large dead fish

And stopping the medication in this case would mean large water change, restart carbon and protein skimming, right?

Currently trying to round up enough flucanazole tablets to start treatment as no one locally stocks reef flux and it’s not available on amazon prime.

Does it works on bubble algae?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And stopping the medication in this case would mean large water change, restart carbon and protein skimming, right?

Currently trying to round up enough flucanazole tablets to start treatment as no one locally stocks reef flux and it’s not available on amazon prime.

Can you take the fish out easily?
If yes. give it a dip in a 5 gallon bucket with double the dose. Let him sit there for 30 minute with an air stone. Watch for sign of irritation, if he turns up side down, take him out immediately and put back to the tank.

If he still has the white patches tomorrow, repeat the dip.

Yes it does at a 4x dose for a month. Don’t even bother taking the fish out and just treat the whole tank at double.

I have been struggling with bubble algae. Time to give this a try. Any further advice on the procedure for bubble algae?

This is still a ongoing process in my tank but it killed all the patches of gha and even that green algae that you get on the glass has disappeared. You can’t use carbon or skim( run skimmer without a cup or reroute drain back to sump. Watch your nutrient levels because of the algae die off. Believe that covers it , ohh and really dissolve the powder good. It’s actually pretty hard and will take a bit of time to dissolve.

This is a week apart. I’ll take another tonight to show the difference
F9CD66D8-647B-4DA5-A321-0170193CE78C.jpeg
1E1A3D53-C9EC-4370-A36D-022FC801A876.jpeg

Sorry for high jacking your thread but like I said, I wouldn’t worry about doubling your dose since I’m at 4x the dose ( 4 capsules per 10 gallons) I have two extra pills if you want them for free

No worries, Chris, it’s interesting info. I got some pills from reeferr508 today and will start treatment. The trigger is currently in the rock work where I can see him but can’t get him out, so if he stays there I guess I’ll treat the whole tank. Wish me luck!

No worries, Chris, it’s interesting info. I got some pills from reeferr508 today and will start treatment. The trigger is currently in the rock work where I can see him but can’t get him out, so if he stays there I guess I’ll treat the whole tank. Wish me luck!

It also shows 4x tank treatment over 3 wk didn't adversely effect rBTA in this case. Thinking positive thoughts about your fish.

Last edited:
Good luck and best wishes

I started the treatment on Saturday on the whole tank as I couldn’t get the trigger out. It hasn’t had any noticeable impact on the trigger. It still just lies on the rocks, barely moving and breathing with difficulty and still has some wite spots though I haven’t had a great view for a while and spots not spreading. I did put food in front of its mouth and it took a brief nibble yesterday but mostly hasn’t eaten. Amazed it’s lasted this long. It’s been this way for 11 days now.

Since he is like that for 11 days, is it possible that he is just getting old? Was he the same size as it was when you got it?

I don't think that's it. He's been growing and it happened so suddenly, and there are the spots that appeared suddenly.

I see, give him more time and since he is still alive, that means the medication is working.

I had a male blue throat and his replacement from Live Aquaria do the same exact thing. Would not eat at all unless I took the food on a wooden skewer and bump it off his mouth. Was not active at all and would not take any food offered from the water column.

I had a male blue throat and his replacement from Live Aquaria do the same exact thing. Would not eat at all unless I took the food on a wooden skewer and bump it off his mouth. Was not active at all and would not take any food offered from the water column.

That's interesting. Until this sickness, mine was an extremely avid and aggressive feeder (if a little dim-witted, he'd often lose track of where the food was and lose it to smaller, more alert fish).

Update and request for disease diagnosis. The triggerfish has now been sick for 20 days. It just sits or hovers, sometimes in the rock work, sometimes above the sand bed as in photos. It won't swim and it won't go after food. I can feed it by taking lrs fish frenzy with a tweezer and sticking it right in front of its mouth. It just takes teeny nibbles. I just fed it a piece it would have devoured in two bites before that took him about hundred nibbles to eat half of.
The physical manifestations come and go. I finally got a pretty good photo of one side of the fish. You can see white spots, and some white spots on the top of the trigger. There have been times where there has been very little. You can also see some fraying on the tail and dorsal fins.
I treated the whole tank with flucanazole tablets at does of 1 tablet/10 gallons thirteen days ago. Didn't clear things up, don't know if it helped. (Did nothing for my algae, bummer lol). I tried once to catch it and do a dip as Dong recommended above. If people think it's a good idea, my son is home tonight and we could probably get him out if he's not in rock work.
Do people still think this is fungal or is there another possible diagnosis/treatment? If I can catch it, I can easily set up a 40 breeder hospital tank if there is some recommended non-reef safe medication.
Thanks in advance for help. It seems a saveable fish. Oh yeah, there are 14 other fish in the system and they have shown no symptoms or strange behvaior. It seems completely isolated to the trigger.

Attachments

• trigger3.jpg
    trigger3.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 225
  • trigger4.jpg
    trigger4.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 223
Back