ATO Question - DIY full/empty indicator

IPWitan

Non-member
Question 1 - recommendations for water reservoir. Hoping to hold 2 weeks or so, e.g. about 15 gallons
Question 2 - signal to tell me that water reservoir is low/empty.

Details -

I bought a JBJ-like ATO (about $100) 3 years ago and never set it up right. I had in a 5 gallon water barrel with kalk and a Tom's aqua lifter. I had it set up to operate for only about 30 minutes a day; and the sensors in the sump to stop if a high water mark was reached. The other sensor turned the pump on an off as needed. Worked well when it worked, but the lifter lost its power after about 2 months. I bought another and it lasted about 2 months too. Installed air intact too, but it didn't suck at all. I thought the intake was sucking in kalk and gumming up the pump so I raised the intake up 3 inches, cleaned everything out, but it only worked for a week or so. Also, the barrel was in a cabinet, so it was a pain to check whether it was empty or not. It is possible I was burning it out because it would run on empty, but aqua lifters aren't supposed to burn up. Now I need a new design...

While the new ATOs have magnets on them, mine uses suction cups. I may modify to add magnets if suction fails. the Tunze ATO is cool, but $200 bucks is a lot. For water reservoir, I was thinking of using a Slim Jim 23 Gal. Blue Recycling next to the tank ($35). http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...-with-Venting-Channels-FG354007BLUE/100674188. I plan to build a wooden case around it so it is visually pleasing and still be next to display tank. It can serve as a counter of sorts. Anyone have an idea of a container next to the display but concealed so it doesn't look bad?

With a container this big, I can use a maxi jet to pump the water should the aqualifters fail.

Next, since the reservoir will hold about 2 weeks worth of water, I want to make some sort of system that tells me when it needs more water. Fool proof and cheap, and looks fine are the major considerations.

I was thinking something like the following:

ping pong ball in a tube in the reservoir tied to a string tied to a lever. When the water level goes down, the ball sinks, and one side of the lever goes down, but with the other side going up. And on that side, I could put some sort of wire/flag that could be calibrated to indicate more or less how much water is in the reservoir.

I have no idea whether this will work or not. Any ideas?

DAG

you could just put a low level float switch in. have it tied in to a controller if you have one or make it kick on a light when low.

You can use a length of clear tube up the side of the container for water level indicator, you should plan for when the suction cups fail not IF.

Jim

Not a bad idea... It would require me to put a hole in the container at the bottom which may increase the risk of a total drain out all over my living room. I was also considering some sort of spring/scale like the gauge that says my propane tank is almost empty, but I don't have a spring or scale...

As for the suction cups, yeah I agree. It is really a matter of when they fail, not if. I already changed out the safety double check switch with a magnet backing, but not the primary. I will do that, though, when I set everything up. I do appreciate the - don't be an idiot and fix it now encouragement. I need that kindof reminder from time to time.

I left my RO system on last night. The system fills up a 25 gallon rubbermaid bin on a shelf that I use to fill up my 5 gallon water jugs, and then carry to my tank. Luckily it was completely empty at 8 pm. So apart from from the 25 gallon tank, and 2 5 gallons of water in my irrigation box, a cooler, and another tool box, I dumped about 5 gallons of pure water onto my garage floor. I pulled an April Fools joke on myself this morning. Happy days...

This is my auto salt water change barrel but it would work for fresh. It's basically what Jim said. Behind the co2 tank it's got an orange floatie

Back