question about ato

JTM4UG

REEFER
BRS Member
What is everyone's opinion on not running an ato and just pouring Rodi nightly. Will this cause any stunting to coral growth due to salinity fluctuation. I'm thinking of just waiting til summer to pick one up unless its going to have a negative effect on my tank.

Depends on how much evaporation you're getting and your system water volume.
Also,some coral are more susceptible to salinity changes than others.

I agree with stingy. It will depend on how much water you're talking about. If you add it three times a day, it's better than all at once. Most of my tanks are nanos so I top-off manually. On my 72, I run a drip tube from a 5 gallon bottle into my sump. On occasion I have to adjust the drip depending on the weather, but for the most part it works.

I have the tunze nano top off. Works great and never have to worry about it. 100 bucks and has a chip in it that it will only run for either 30sec or 1 min (depending on what you want) and it will shut off the pump and won't work again until you unplug it and plug back in. This way if the float failed it wouldn't keep running and flood the sump

I was topping off manually but if something comes up or you aren't home its nice to have the peace of mind. Also keeps the salinity stable. Just an idea

Unless you had an incredible evaporation rate topping off nightly (all at once) would not be an issue at all, at least if you are just doing it with fresh water. Don't try this with kalkwasser please!

Just straight Rodi water. Usually I just refill when I'm home from work then a top off before bed

Ato is a great piece of equipment eventually you will get sick of topping off or forget for a few days. The ato is a set it forget it until next week option which is nice.

I was too lazy to set up my ato after I moved. It was a pain always having to top it off myself. Try to grab a cheap one used or something until the summer and you want to get a batter one!

I have to agree. Topping off the amount your tank is evaporating manually shouldn't really matter or impact ur salinity that much. Unless you have a small nano :).

But I have to say, I could never live with out an ATO anymore... its just so much easier! :cool:

Higor

Back