Basement sump/fishroom

delta

Impatient Reefer
just looking for info from people who have sumps/fishroom in their basements
pro & cons
my biggest concern is winter months as far as keeping tank temp

I've had my 200 gallon in my finished basement for 1 1/2 yrs now. I have never even turned my heater on..............

Last edited:
How cold does your basement get?
Lat year mine went below 49, not sure how cold as I wasn't really tracking it (just moved in).
Since then I have replaced (3) out of (5) single pane basement windows, & insulated a little over 1/2 of the sill plate. I have (2) windows that are still single pane - 1 will be converted to a doorway to the new garage, the other will face into the garage.
I also need to replace the basement door - doesn't seal very well. This year the temp in the coldest weather has only dipped to about 55 (55.3 lowest I saw). Right now it is around 60-63
I will also be building an insulated wall along the outside walls of the basement & adding R-13 insulation

IMO the cooling effect in the summer is FAR more of an Advantage then the cold of the winter. It's much easier to heat the water, then cool it off. In addition you can insulate you sump to cut down on heat loss

It is also much easier to do water changes in the basement, no real worry about ruining the floor with a flood (or 2...3...4..5...OK I lost count)

Adding supplements is easier - and allows it to "disperse" before going to the main tank. I have also added a fuge/frag tank in the basement. And a QT tank is available to be quickly added.

I built an 8' & 6' bench in the basement & ran a GFI protected circuit (actually 4-5 circuits).

In addition I have (2) different dehumidifiers that are down there - needed for the summer - unless you like everything soggy & musty

Noise for the most part is now in the basement except for the gurgle of the drain (haven't enclosed the drain area yet)

THINK BIG SKIMMER!!!

Plenty of room to add equipment (also a CON :D)

Much easier to acclimate corals/fish in the basement, then add to the tank

Water changes are easy - I have a sink 2' away!!
Plenty of room to setup 55g water storage bins
Easier to setup auto-topoffs (or manual)

IMO/IME a Fish room in the basement is a huge advantage

CONs: you will add more tanks :)
you will increase your water volume (also a PLUS), which will cost more
- but - the more water the more stable the system

More problems can occur: oh a power outage & all my heaters are in the sump - oops! - but that can happen w/a sump under a tank

You will need a bigger pump to pump the water back to the tank

They are very super nice to have. The humidity and temperature issues can be greatly helped with a simple cover on the sump and fuge. We use a piece of foam housing insulation laid on top. I've heard it is a good idea to seal a concrete floor to protect it, but thats something we havn't gotten around to yet.

The extra room and ability to have the ugly equipment out in the open to work on is the best part.

IMO the cooling effect in the summer is FAR more of an Advantage then the cold of the winter
I hoping that was and advantage it was a theroy i had bad wasnt sure

Plenty of room to add equipment (also a CON )
Yes i hate being resistricted to what i can fit under the tank i was actually thinking of building a cabinet next to the tank but basement seams more
logical skimmer/reactors/fuge/frag tank/etc,etc. cannot all fit under the tank

I've heard it is a good idea to seal a concrete floor to protect it, but thats something we havn't gotten around to yet.
already sealed the floor and walls :)

Got any pics of your setups?

Yea....what they said.

I find the biggest advantage is that it is soooooo convienent. You're not trying to squeeze stuff under the stand, and wrenching your neck to get at something. In the basement there is TONS of room. Everything is kinda spread out and easy to access.

Also, the idea that you don't have to worry too much when you make a mess is priceless. I've dropped, spilled, dribbled and leaked just about anything that goes into the tank. Shop Vac and some old towels.... :D

I added a couple ball valves and a " T " to the plumbing down there, now all I have to do is attach the garden hose, roll it out the door into the woods, open the valve, and VOILA....10-20 gallons into the woods. Pump the new in, and water change complete, without ever lifting a bucket. :D

OK, downsides....

1. big pump to get water upstairs
2. definitely need a dehumidifier in the summer
3. lots of heaters in the winter
4. If you're like me, it'll take you forever to get the drain quite (lots ofgood help out there, though)
5. gotta drill a hole ( or two ) in your floor
6. You'll spend a lot of time running up and down the stairs making sure the tank isn't overflowing after you've been messing around in the basement. This subsides after you've learned to trust your plumbing.

I would, however, definitely do it again.

-Linda

You'll spend a lot of time running up and down the stairs making sure the tank isn't overflowing

Yea i can see that happening maybe setup tank cam :D for basment veiwing

Having the stuff downstairs does have a downside of being out of sight, out of mind. We had the fuge go ofline (pump line pulled lose in sump) and we didn't know for a few days. fuge got really cold, but no damage done. Of course, when the same line popped out on the fuge end, 15 gallons on the floor went down the floor drain and made no mess whatsoever. You do have to plan on not seeing your sump for a few days and have alarms and safeguards for that.

We are toying with the idea of a wireless cam. We want it for checking in on the tank durring our vacation and for the niftyness factor. When were're home, we might put it on the basement stuff (or waste more money and get two :) )

And think of all the babysitters you can catch rumaging through your silkies

LOL
laughing6.gif

You do have to plan on not seeing your sump for a few days and have alarms and safeguards for that.

Maybe get one of those baby monitor cams put under the tank seeing as there will be plenty of room

Big proponent of sumps in the basement....Echoing what everyone else has said regarding spillage, noise, etc. Never had a problem with the temp. In fact, in the summer, helps keep the tank a bit cooler. Our MH lights have long enough cords that I built a rack off the ceiling downstairs, and put the ballasts in the basement, too. That helps out immensely in the heat department! Drill through the floor! DO IT! DO IT! DRILLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

I wish I live downstair so that I can have my sump in the basement.
With Metal halide, you be worrying about heat more than cold. And as stated, it is easier and cost less to heat up water than to cool it off.

i will drill the floor i think try to go through the wall given the amount of plumbing, heating, electrical in the wall behind the tank it would just be to hard to make happen.

also be borrowing the MH vho ballast idea along ceiling

Stock tank for sump or custom glass/acrylic sump? pros/cons on each

Well, I use a stock tank. Biggest drawback is no baffles. I had a lot of bubbles coming out of the overflow where it exited in the water. Lots of micro bubbles (and some not so micro) were getting back to the tank. I wound up using a 5 gallon bucket placed on a small stand to "catch" the water as it hit the sump. It would then cascade over the rim of the bucket into the sump. It acts like a baffle. :rolleyes:

Also. I don't use the original bulkhead hole. I drilled another one about half-way up, so I would be less likely to pull any sand, etc. into the return pump.

On the plus side... TONS of room. Mine is 75 gallons. I can put just about anything in there I want. Big SKIMMER...couple of heaters...that bucket...

-Linda

I also cut INTO the wall, then drilled the holes, not in the Floor, but in the space between the wall. Which means I could take the tank down, dismantle the stand, refinish floor/wall & you would never know there was a tank there

Best thing I ever did was to put in a basement fish room in...a place where I can escape to!! Seriously though, it has many, many advantages. I love mine!! I would recommend it to anybody!

My entire system is in my finished basement. I like it down there. It's my "man room" :D I don't even run my hood fans during the Winter. I've never had a heat issue in the summer. Finally, if there's going to be any spillage, or mishap... I'd rather it be down there than on the first floor.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back