Basement sump/fishroom

not in the Floor, but in the space between the wall
I would love to do this but too much to compete with elec,plumb,heat.
So i will just remove a 2-4 small pieces of oak flooring drill the sub floor
no problem to patch 2-4 small pieces.

On a stock tank there is a large surface area so to trip a auto top off it would take a large amount of evaporation, how are people dealing with this issue?

I built a basement sump & fuge setup last year and found that with a lot of planning, it can be rather painless with tremendous benefits. Here's a few things I learned:

1- going through the floor is simpler than the wall - easier to cut and fewer resultant bends in plumbing because you can go straight down. I have hardwood floors and cut rectangle that I can replace in the future and refinish like new.
2- Hard PVC plumbing is a more reliable way to go with fewer connections to worry about
3- A big sump is good, but more volume means more additives and more food like phytoplankton. And definitely requires a bigger skimmer.
4- Stock tanks are an excellent choice for cost and convenience reasons. The bigger you go, the less you need baffles - I have a 150g and no problems with return bubbles. Bulkheads for hard PVC are easy to install if you don't use the standard hole. You can rig up strained PVC returns for pump feeds inside the sump to avoid sand and junk from getting into your expensive pumps.
5- A basement sump means skimmers and pumps can be OUTSIDE of your sump- and that makes everything easier
6- Make sure your drain pipes do not go too far below the sump water surface level or else backpressure will reduce return volume
7- Salt spray will corrode evertying within 20 feet of your sump - an issue if you have furniture or metal equipment stored in your basement. Wrapping a drain pipe outlet with a skirt made from plastic fish bags is an almost perfect solution. Rubberbands can hold skirts in place. Total solution would be an acutual fish room with positive pressure ventilation.
8- Hardware stores sell basement water sensors for $10. They are good for under the tank too
9- Make sure if you put ballasts under the floor that you have drip loops and that you thought about all water routes in case your upstairs tank fails. Saltwater and ballasts - no good!
10- Think more about in-tank circulation than volume up and down the floors. It costs less and gives the same result.
Okay one more - 11- if your heaters are all in the basement, consider what will happen if your main pumps fail and your display gets no heated water supply. I haven't come up with a satisfactory answer to this yet.

Okay, last one - I mean it - 12- My basement stays very cool year round. In Winter, to be safe, I run 5 watts per gallon. 1250 watts total.

Okay one more - 11- if your heaters are all in the basement, consider what will happen if your main pumps fail and your display gets no heated water supply. I haven't come up with a satisfactory answer to this yet.

Basement or undertank sump, I think it's easy enough to conceal one of your heaters behind the rock in the display. That's what I do to prevent a chill if the return pump stops.

Maybe its a good idea to run 2 smaller return pumps then one big one in case of pump failure

I run a a basement sump ... I got a winter ambient temp of around 40 and a tank temp around 79 ....

I run a two stage Ranco controller tied into 3 250 watt Ebo Jager heaters without out the controller the heaters looked like time square at christmas and struggled to maintain +/- 2 degrees due to the fuluctuation in ambient temp .... with the controller the heaters work in sync and i maintain a +/- .5 degree ...

In the summer the heaters shut off and a fan kicks on to keep it cool ....

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Lab.jpg
    Lab.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 197
Geez, SOunds complicated.
I have had my tank (75G) for 3 years.. I kept everything simple, for lack of DIY ability. except for a spraybar.. LOL

IS there anyone here who actually does tank set up or maintenace? I would LOVE to hire someone to set up a sump/fuge for me. After its all set up and taught how to maintain it, I could do that.. HAHA
Also, I am moving this summer and want a "in wall" set up. I was thinking of buying a tank all predrilled and pre-everything, and have everything in the basement. Thats my DREAM... Not the home, the AWESOME TANK in the new HOME.. =) Would pay someone VERY WELL to do the initial set up!! Don't have to be in the business BUT know what your doing.... ANy Takers, just drop me an e-mail [email protected]
Thanking yo kindly, Kim

very nice Lactrain every thing right there with easy access

i can stand trying to clean my skimmer under the tank

If you had it all to do again(basement sump) what would you do differently?

ScubaDave,

>I will also be building an insulated wall along the outside walls of the basement & adding R-13 insulation<

While you are at it run some tubing outside into the ground for a cooling loop during the summer.

Aquadiva,

>. It would then cascade over the rim of the bucket into the sump. It acts like a baffle. <

Cut off the bottom of the bucket and then it will work properly. Cut it off a bit jagged, like your drunk when you do it. The water will flow out the bottom essentially bubble free.

Greg Hiller said:
While you are at it run some tubing outside into the ground for a cooling loop during the summer.
so basically i would have a no cost chiller if i run spa flex through the wall coil it in the soil then run it back through the wall.
i would think that i have to make a bypass and drain so i could pull the coil off line in the winter ?

I prefer to do what i did and take over the entire house with tanks...only room my hubby can escape from water is the bathroom, and there's a toilet in there! heheheheee. But seriously I have seen Lactrain's, JustdavidP's, and Willowhawk's setups and i can see that the basement is the way to go...they all have WONDERFUL setups that are efficient, easy to maintain, interesting, and expandable. All i can say is DO IT i would if i owned, but we rent so my hubby has to deal with water water everywhere...

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back