Changing out ISP router/modem combo...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
I know the thread name may not seem reef related but it is. I am looking for people who are way smarter than me with technology to chime in. I've been watching and doing lots of automation research and eventually plan to get a controller in the future. Sooner rather than later if I don't get the tank upgrade I want.

In all that research I've been looking into backing up the controller and making sure I would get a notification if power went out. I have seen a lot of people supply their modems and routers with a battery backup as often times just because power goes out that doesn't mean there isn't still internet but obviously if there's no power the modem and router won't work even if there is internet still available.

That being said I've also gathered the impression that I should ditch the crappy ISP provided router and modem combination and get a separate modem and wi-fi router as it's not only cheaper in the long run (think I pay $12-$13 a month) but that it also provides better internet speeds. I think I'm paying for gigabite service through Fios but I'm only getting 240 Mbps download and 185 Mbps upload on the "older" (2-3 year old) desktop and my brand new laptop with a better internet card is only getting 340/440 Mbps.

You should always never use their piece of crap equipment, that being said. You need to find a modem that will work with fios and then I'd strongly suggest a mesh wifi system, multi routers for blanketed coverage. There's a thread around here somewhere with some member praising Netgear Orbit, myself I use Linksys Velops.

You'll definitely need to a compatible modem; what company do you get service from?

If you're looking into a new router, mesh or otherwise, you might want to consider getting a WIFI 6 compatible version. WIFI 6 is the newest standard so it's still a little pricier and there aren't as many options.

Whether you go mesh or not really depends on the size of your house, number of devices, etc.

I've been looking into upgrading our gear here in the house (router at least, just upgraded the cable modem a short time back). Can't decide between manufacturers.

Watch out whatever you purchase on the router side; a lot of them have features that require subscriptions to use. Read the reviews and do some research. Companies are good at touting the features and leaving it buried that you have to pay on-going fees.

+1 on Netgear Orbi. Especially AX6000 or the wifi 6 version. Easily get 900+mbps connected to the main router and 500+ on a satellite that is 2 floors away.

@MrX I have Verizon Fios. Currently from there is a coax cable and an ethernet cable coming from the box in the basement to the router/modem then a coax cable going to the cable box from the router/modem...

@rock-n-reef and @BiGGiePauls33 do you have links to what you specifically use? From what I've read I would have to connect the cable box that has the coax cable from it with an ethernet cable and then call Fios and tell them to switch from coax to ethernet. I read it on this site https://www.techlicious.com/tip/how-to-use-your-own-router-for-verizon-fios/#comments Is it really that easy to call them and swap it?

I doubt I'll need a mesh set up my house is only 1200 ft2 and I would at most need a small extender to get the signal up to the 2nd floor cable box as it only occasionally lags...

The way extenders work is whatever signal it received, then cuts that signal in half. Are your walls horse hair plaster? If so get orbi or Velops or even Google's routers as they're made by Asus

@rock-n-reef and @BiGGiePauls33 do you have links to what you specifically use? From what I've read I would have to connect the cable box that has the coax cable from it with an ethernet cable and then call Fios and tell them to switch from coax to ethernet. I read it on this site https://www.techlicious.com/tip/how-to-use-your-own-router-for-verizon-fios/#comments Is it really that easy to call them and swap it?

I don't use their TV service,so didn't have to go through the hoops of the coax stuff. Just a ethernet connection from the ONT to the router.

The way extenders work is whatever signal it received, then cuts that signal in half. Are your walls horse hair plaster? If so get orbi or Velops or even Google's routers as they're made by Asus

They might be plaster as a few walls that we took down were plaster (not sure if it was horse hair I just knew it was plaster) but several walls were also drywall...

I don't use their TV service,so didn't have to go through the hoops of the coax stuff. Just a ethernet connection from the ONT to the router.

Ok thanks. I did a little more digging and I found that I would run the chance of loosing things like the on demand and other guide/tv things if I ditched their modem so that puts a kink in it and I'll have to do some more digging. I was planning on cutting the cord before we switched from Xfinity to Fios this last time to just streaming so could go look into that as well.

Again main point of this conversation was putting a UPS on the router for when I get a controller so I still get notified if power goes out. Luckily I live in town so if we did loose power I could swing home and hook up the generator :cool:

There is a heartbeat setting that you can enable in Apex Fusion that will notify you if their servers detect that your Apex is unreachable. The notification is delayed and is reliant on their servers.

There is a heartbeat setting that you can enable in Apex Fusion that will notify you if their servers detect that your Apex is unreachable. The notification is delayed and is reliant on their servers.

Yeah I remember seeing that but the extra layer of protection of having my router and wi-fi still could be faster...

From an IT perspective if you can have your modem/router near your tank I high highly suggest one of the APC Smart UPS units. I use them on critical stand alone servers at my company and they work great. Downside to this style unit is if your internet is disrupted prior to power failure.

Something like this:

Another option that colleagues of mine have used is the iSocket3G. It will notify you of power failure even if your connection to the internet is lost which is obviously quite valuable if your service is interrupted before the power. It works by inserting a SIM card so you have to pay for that service but if I remember correctly T-Mobile has a prepaid plan you can get for $10 that lasts 90 days so it’s a little over $3 a month (there many options here just need a micro SIM card service). The unit can call, send push notifications, or text and up to 10 numbers to boot. Added bonus feature of an optional marine safe temperature probe.

I have not used one of these and I don’t know anyone that has used the temp probe but the colleagues of mine that use the base units are very happy with them.

As far as modems/routers go there are tons of options depending on your ISP. All you need is a coax connection to your ONT (optical network terminal that is probably in your basement. The box you said is hooked up directly to your modem/router combo) If you use a quality modem and router for 1200 sq ft with a fiber connection you should not need mesh or even extenders. Just a coax from your ONT out to your modem and then at least a cat6 (preferably cat7 but not absolutely needed) connecting your modem to your router. If you have an older combo unit from Verizon it may not support the speeds you are paying for and if you are using cat5 or even cat5e you are certainly pushing the cable to its limits with gigabit and NO interference. Most people do not think about the cable running from their modem to their router as gigabit speeds have become more popular but I’ve seen scenarios where changing that one $5-$10 cable makes quite the difference in speed and reliability.

PM me if you have any questions. If I don’t have the answer myself someone from my IT team will.

From an IT perspective if you can have your modem/router near your tank I high highly suggest one of the APC Smart UPS units. I use them on critical stand alone servers at my company and they work great. Downside to this style unit is if your internet is disrupted prior to power failure.

Something like this:

I've been slowly looking into UPS units thanks for the recommendation...

Another option that colleagues of mine have used is the iSocket3G. It will notify you of power failure even if your connection to the internet is lost which is obviously quite valuable if your service is interrupted before the power. It works by inserting a SIM card so you have to pay for that service but if I remember correctly T-Mobile has a prepaid plan you can get for $10 that lasts 90 days so it’s a little over $3 a month (there many options here just need a micro SIM card service). The unit can call, send push notifications, or text and up to 10 numbers to boot. Added bonus feature of an optional marine safe temperature probe.

I have not used one of these and I don’t know anyone that has used the temp probe but the colleagues of mine that use the base units are very happy with them.

Um that looks pretty damn awesome!!! I think for that price point that's an amazing option thanks!!!

As far as modems/routers go there are tons of options depending on your ISP. All you need is a coax connection to your ONT (optical network terminal that is probably in your basement. The box you said is hooked up directly to your modem/router combo) If you use a quality modem and router for 1200 sq ft with a fiber connection you should not need mesh or even extenders. Just a coax from your ONT out to your modem and then at least a cat6 (preferably cat7 but not absolutely needed) connecting your modem to your router. If you have an older combo unit from Verizon it may not support the speeds you are paying for and if you are using cat5 or even cat5e you are certainly pushing the cable to its limits with gigabit and NO interference. Most people do not think about the cable running from their modem to their router as gigabit speeds have become more popular but I’ve seen scenarios where changing that one $5-$10 cable makes quite the difference in speed and reliability.

PM me if you have any questions. If I don’t have the answer myself someone from my IT team will.

My main concern would be if I would loose on demand and DVR, guide options. I have Verizon Fios and I have a coax an an ethernet cable going from my ONT to my router/modem that I lease from Verizon...

I've been slowly looking into UPS units thanks for the recommendation...

Um that looks pretty damn awesome!!! I think for that price point that's an amazing option thanks!!!

My main concern would be if I would loose on demand and DVR, guide options. I have Verizon Fios and I have a coax an an ethernet cable going from my ONT to my router/modem that I lease from Verizon...

So it’s hard to tell without seeing how Verizon set it up but essentially the way the ONT works is the fiber signal enters the box and then splits the three “channels” that are supplied to the box into internet/phone/tv and then will use the outputs accordingly. If the Ethernet port is enabled then you can just run a cat6/7 to your router I am fairly certain. I don’t have as much experience with their TV options as I get all my ”Cable” content from streaming services. I do know that depending on the age of your ONT it may or may not be able to support gigabit through coax.

The only reason I see the need to have Ethernet on your cable box would be to use streaming services like Netflix where Verizon’s cable boxes may not have the ability to process the signal through coax. Verizon even says that you can’t use apps like Netflix without internet service so that makes sense to me. Regardless you should have no trouble running your own modem/router while leaving your cable signal intact. You can always unplug the Ethernet from the set top box and see what happens while you use it the way you normally would.

Is there an Ethernet cable AND coax going from your ONT to your main cable box via splitter? How is your current Modem/Router being wired?

From the ONT in the basement (less than a year old) an ethernet cable and coax goes to the gateway router/modem. Then the coax cable goes from the router/modem to the cable box and then I have an ethernet cord going from the router/modem to my bluray player as it's only a few feet away and I found that it's faster to hardwire it than do wi-fi for when I stream amazon prime stuff...

So that’s actually pretty simple then. You can just unplug the Ethernet from the gateway and plug it directly into your new router.

The map would look like this:

ONT > ethernet > router WAN
ONT > coax > cable splitter IN
  • OUT to set-top box
  • OUT to MoCA Adapter
Router LAN to MoCA Adapter

Back