Cleaning algae off coral

Abrooks12376

Non-member
I have some small tufts of hair algae poking up through some zoa's and candy cane, any tips? Snails??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Damn.. wrong corals to be on! One may be toxic and the other very delicate. If it is on rock I scrape it off with a toothbrush/ metal brush. That would definitely kill the candy cane or piss it off to death maybe.

I found some hair algae on some trades I got at the show and was very disappointed. Luckily one was a cap, so I cut a third of the cap off and threw it away to remove the algae. The others were on plugs so I removed the corals from the plugs.

If possible cut out the algae and toss the pieces away. If not maybe re-frag the zoas. The candy cane is tougher... maybe gently brush it with a toothbrush?

Good luck keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the hair type, I got after it last night, not giving in easy.. knocked a zoa colony in the sand, again... it's nearly impossible to work on these small coral with my hands. Anyone have a nano submarine with grabbers I can borrow??

Hi Alex, you can remove all these hair algae very easily with a tweezer, don't worry about poking the zoa, they will be fine. Then apply Full strength of sterling the 3% hydrogen peroxide with a pipe it soaking the Frak Brock for two minute outside then rinsed and put back in tank. For the next couple days use the turkey baster and blast off the dying algae where you previously applied the hydrogen peroxide in between the crevices of the zoas. You will notice the fact rock will be very clean in a couple days

What up ben!!! So I can use h202 on this? I use it in my fw setups all the time. I pretend the syringe is a Dragon and the algae are white walkers. I swoop in and kill it with fire!!!! So I have to pull the frag plug and soak out side of the tank?

Thats what I do, it works well for me. Dilluting it with tank water and soak in the dillution for several minutes work as well but not as effective and slower. The zoas tolerate the H2O2 better than other corals so I just use it straight up since Im not really applying directly on the zoas anyways, only on the afftected frag rock that has algae

Back