Cleaning algae with razor?

UMan101

Non-member
I've been looking around online on how to clean algae at the bottom of the glass near the sand bed. My magnet isn't removing it and tends to kick up the sand when too close. I read some suggestions on using a razor blade.

Will a straight razor scratch my tank glass? I have starfire glass. If so, any other products you guys can link me to for cleaning?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've just started to use a razor because of out of control coralline on the glass that my mag float can't move. No issues with a single scratch, but I am very careful, especially near any seams.

You have to be really careful. It's a necessary evil to hand razor the thick algae film on the glass near the sandbed.
I also find starfire to be softer than regular glass so be real careful. However, don't kill yourself over a scratch or two on the glass that is near the sandbed. Any tank will have scratch if you clean it enough time and look at it hard enough.

I built this just for that reason and use it every few days. It gets all the way under my gravel and around places where my corals grew to close to the front glass.

Keep the blade flat against the glass at a 45 deg angle and apply even pressure to ensure that your not digging a corner into the glass. You'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using a Flipper scraper for just this reason for years. Not a razor, but a fixed metal scraping blade for algae.

Works great, but you still must be careful with seems/sand/etc.

Back