Contemplating Using T5’s

Chris A.

Formally toomanyfish
BRS Member
A little background,
I have a 40B that’s mainly sps with 2 GHL mitras lx7206 and a reefbrite xho blue bar that are inside a canopy, light spill Isn’t a issue.
I’m starting to see a lot of shading on the underside of my acros as they keep growing and was contemplating swapping out the bar for a retrofit t5 , maybe even 2 ( front and back ) with ati blu+ bulbs.
What would you do if it was you?

I run 3 radions with 4 T5. Two actinic and two blue+. It certainly does help, adds heat in summer but I only run the T5 3-4 hours a day.

Arr your lights high enough off the water?

I can bring them up about 2.5-3”
image.jpg

T5 definitely helps if you don’t mind the cost and heat they put off. I’d assume not an issue if you ran the halides.

Heat isn’t a issue since I still use the fans to cool off the tank even with LEDs

I used T5HOs for about 5-6 years and great growth of corals and really nice lighting.
Negatives were heat and changing the bulbs each year which is very expensive.
I switched to LEDs 4 years ago and much cooler temperatures and no added costs with bulb changes.
Also, LEDs have cooler new programming built in so you do not have to link to a controller.

I only want to use them as supplements not main lights , I run two mitras over the tank but have some shadowing issues and want to beat it before it becomes a problem. Heat isn’t a problem, I used to have 2x250w halides on this tank.

What are you looking at Chris? I have a couple ballasts lying around.

Heat for me was more likely an issue since I had closed glass top with enclosed cabinet with my T5s at the time. Now I have open top.

Heat for me was more likely an issue since I had closed glass top with enclosed cabinet with my T5s at the time. Now I have open top.
I have a open back canopy with a ghl propeller breeze 4 fan that’s run off my profilux. It adjust depending on temp

Back