Covering a tank

medic1175

Non-member
I am hanging my new MH lights above the tank, ref my other thread http://bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88570 I need to figure out a way of covering the top of the tank but still let air flow through. I tried white egg crate but the light reflects off of it and frankly i was waiting for a phone call from the airport telling im blinding pilots. I was gonna try and make something out of mesh window screen but im concerned it will block too much of the light from getting in. I need to put something there for rug surfers and cats. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
find a way to color the egg crate black? Some sort of water resistant paint?

Or get a hood, then you won't care how bright it is. That's the way I went.

just saw your other thread showing how you hung your fixture. Gonna be tricky gettin a hood over that :),,,,

I think u can find diffrent color eggcreat I have seen people use. Sorry but I would not know to find it, google maybe?

im gunna try and build a mesh top today for my tank ill let you know how it goes

Screen frames - "Screens From Scratch" at home centers and 1/4 mesh screen I think avail. through BRS sponsor CRA. :)

Bird screen. You can get it at home depot. I use suction cups to fasten it to the acrylic. Easy and cheap. lets all the light thru too.

I made one of the mesh ones about a month ago. Pretty easy and lets the light through just fine.
I have a bunch of leftover netting and frame if you decide to go that route.

what kind of screen did you use, like regular window screen or something else. i have window screen but if i could find something with bigger openings that would be great. any idea if lowes or hd carries this.

i use plastic screen but i used a little thinner than the link posted above
0e495a2c.jpg

Screen frames - "Screens From Scratch" at home centers and 1/4 mesh screen I think avail. through BRS sponsor CRA. :)
Yep, this is the most elegant solution I've seen. You make a screen frame that fits right on the inside lip of the tank trim, and use invisible 1/4" or 1/2" monofilament netting inside the frame.

I thought everyone just used egg crate. I just did that on mine and I never really noticed any reflection and I have an open top hood.

Does the egg crate reflect too much light and the screen pass more?

Anything that looks really bright sitting on top of your tank is by definition blocking light from your corals. The more invisible the screen, the less light it's stealing.

Paula (a member here, who I haven't seen on in a while - not sure if she's still around?) had that monofilament screen on her tank, and you had to look really closely to even see that it was there. Very cool. She ordered it from some website.

Back