CT Frag Farmer's Market 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitch4

BRS Member
Jon from the E.O. Smith Coral Project here! (and CTARS) As many of you know I have organized and run the Frag Farmer's Market over in CT at the school for the past few years and here is the information for the FFM for this coming spring. The market is not a "meeting" of any group per se, but rather a chance for reefers to get together and sell/buy aquacultured frags. My motivation for running it is two-fold. 1. All the "buy in" funds go directly to fund the 1200+ gallons of salt water I maintain at the school so kids can do work on coral aquaculture. 2. I started the whole project at the school because I feel like it is our responsibility as reefers to make sure that the hobby becomes self sustaining. I feel that aquaculture is going to be key. The FFM offers a venue for people to stock their tanks with aquacultured corals and encourages hobbyists to frags thier stuff and make it available to other reefers. I digress...
FFM2010.jpg

Last year's FFM was AWESOME in terms of the corals that people brought and the number of people who came to look and buy. We had people from all over New England come and this year already looks to be bigger. It is a great chance to make a few $ for your Reefing Habit (it is not a hobby...) or a chance to get some VERY nice home grown frags for very reasonable prices. We had everything from mushrooms and zoas to high end SPS and LPS. I have been farming for the last few months myself and have some nice stuff I have never sold pieces of. I would love to have more of the BRS people take part!
If you would like to sign up to sell your stuff, let me know. I am doing the same deal as last time, $25 donation to the school project to set up a tank. I will provide counter space, a powerstrip and heated water if you need it. I also have a few tanks (10's, 15's and 20's) that people are welcome to use but it is first paid in get dibs on them. You can pay via Paypal at [email protected] or direct to me if you happen to be in the neighborhood. If you have questions about the FFM, or just want to chat, feel free to PM me or post Q's here.
I have also decided to do a "special" to get a better grip on who will be setting up tanks. If you sign up and pay by the end of this month (December), I will throw in 20 free specimen cups for you to use that day. (I should also have more around if you need to get some.)
Thanks and happy farming!
Jon[/QUOTE]

Will you be taking donations for the school program itself?
I just started out so I don't have stuff to sell but would like to give to the program while down there stocking up.

I would gladly take donations but I tell you what, why not give a few $ and take home a coral or two from the project instead?

im in was there last year lot of people and awsome frags 4 awsome prices im in next year 2 cant wait

Thanks for the good word. I really like the idea of people stocking their tank with aquacultured frags and then growing their stuff to stock other peoples tanks. I figured I could set this up to give people a venue to do it.

I've had a few questions regarding the location of the school where the event will be held. It is about 1/2hour east of hartford, just a hop off Rt 84. The school is right on the corner of Uconn's main campus.

Quick update on the March event:
Greg Hiller will be there! Wait, you guys see him all the time...
Uniquecorals from Manhattan will be there with their usual sweet frags. They were at this past MACNA and had some of the sweetest frags at the show! I dropped more $ than I care to admit to (or tell my wife about).
If anyone up in your end has some frags they want to get rid of, let me know and I can hook you up with a tank to sell off your stuff! Thanks.
Jon

I'm a Uconn alum as well X 2! Glad to have you back. It is the end of Uconn's spring break so it should still be relatively quiet in the area.

i'll take a booth with a tank for sure!!!got lots to bring with me and i'm looking forward to meeting some other reefers on the east coast and seeing wut they have to offer.....

Sweet, the more the merrier. I look forward to meeting you in a month.
On a side note, I just took a ride down to NYC to check out Unique Corals and I have to say that I am glad they are coming up tp set up a tank. They had sweet stuff and frags galore.
I have been sticking pictures of some of the stuff I will have for the fest in the CT forums so I thought I would share here as well. Just to clarify, these are not for sale... yet!
Coral2-10026.jpg

Coral12-09012.jpg

Coral2-10021.jpg

Only a few days left! Looking forward to seeing some of you guys at the market this Saturday. Don't forget, it is free to get in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back