CT Frag Farmer's Market - Storrs CT 3/7/20

MrX, I always hated raffles where they would raffle off the big item first, and then everyone would have to sit around to see who was going to "get to take home" the container of flake food so I run the raffle as a tea cup raffle. You put tickets into what you want, and won't leave with anything that you don't. Although, one year we had a Crystal Dynamics 100 gal Starfire tank with stand in the raffle and the guy who won it didn't want it. He gave his daughter one ticket, she put it in that tank's cup (which was FULL by the end of the day) and ended up winning it. He sold it to a local guy for $300 at the end of the day. I'm not sure what the lesson is there but it was a funny story.

Sounds like my daughter at a BRS meeting. I won a raffle that had options, so I let her pick. Out of all the choices (gift cards, etc.) she came back to the table with a random advertisement t-shirt with a fish on it.

Well I've already made my first purchase before the show even starts. Reserved some fish already... I'm screwed... I should leave all my debit and CCs at home and have my wife change the paypal password before I head out Sat am :p

Well I've already made my first purchase before the show even starts. Reserved some fish already... I'm screwed... I should leave all my debit and CCs at home and have my wife change the paypal password before I head out Sat am :p
You have no idea how bad it is. Wait till you see the number of corals there...

MrX, I always hated raffles where they would raffle off the big item first, and then everyone would have to sit around to see who was going to "get to take home" the container of flake food so I run the raffle as a tea cup raffle. You put tickets into what you want, and won't leave with anything that you don't. Although, one year we had a Crystal Dynamics 100 gal Starfire tank with stand in the raffle and the guy who won it didn't want it. He gave his daughter one ticket, she put it in that tank's cup (which was FULL by the end of the day) and ended up winning it. He sold it to a local guy for $300 at the end of the day. I'm not sure what the lesson is there but it was a funny story.

I hope this guy had a bigger/better tank or he’s no real reefer imo. Lol

I hope this guy had a bigger/better tank or he’s no real reefer imo. Lol
He had a small car and no way to get it back to Jersey. We suggested that he stay somewhere that night, rent a van, and bring it down the next day- but he had to work Sunday. He sold a ~$3000 tank for $300 and walked away. Probably the only guy who left the FFM ahead for $.

So uh... dumb question.... what kinda cooler should I bring... and such and cash is king right? Or paypal only? First time xD

So uh... dumb question.... what kinda cooler should I bring... and such and cash is king right? Or paypal only? First time xD

A small 6 or 12 pack sized cooler is best. They do a "coat check" type thing in the front so you can leave them there. But dont want the kids to have to watch over your 70 quart Yeti!

Cash is easiest, though many retailers will have some form of card machines on their phones. I find better deals are had with cash

Cooler check is going to be there again and still free! Just stop by, drop off your cooler (whatever size you want!) and we will keep it safe for you. We have a whole room set aside to stash the coolers in for the day and you can stop by and drop of your new purchases as many times as you would like. Stop by early and pick your cooler up at the end of the day! Kinda like I hated writing my name on raffle tickets, I hate carrying a cooler around all day- so I fixed it at the FFM!

Kinda like I hated writing my name on raffle tickets, I hate carrying a cooler around all day- so I fixed it at the FFM!

So what's the raffle ticket fix? Do you assign numbers to people and we write the number on back? Or something else?

I used to print little labels on stickers so I could just stick and peel and not write out 100 tickets.

If you see any that say "MrX - BRS" on the back that'll be me. (I hope you see lots of them! *grin*)

We do an "Easy Raffle Station" where you can give your name/contact info and you get a number. You just write your number on the back of your tickets and when you win, I can get in touch (if you are not there). I don't use the info for anything other than the raffle for that year, so no worries about getting tons of junk mail or anything like that. Just trying to make people's lives easier.

Reactions: MrX
9:30 and the line to get in is crazy!

Attachments

• 15835915495639202753047561796467.jpg
    15835915495639202753047561796467.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 286
Had a great time today it was my first time making it out for the show and I wasn’t disappointed got some nice zoas and started my Acro collection. Definitely going back next year ;)

Had a great time today it was my first time making it out for the show and I wasn’t disappointed got some nice zoas and started my Acro collection. Definitely going back next year ;)
Nice. Great job to all those that were able to make it and get those good deals, meet people etc...
unfortunately fir me I had a last minute emergency and just cleared and all is well. I’ll definitely be heading there good lord willing next trip.
Please post those nice shags at your convenience.

Back