Dialing in the lighting

Leadfootedracer

Non-member
Was conversating with This Is Me in another post and figured I should start my own to end the hijack of the other thread. I have recently changed out all the bulbs in my 4 bulb T5 to ATI bulbs, but am not getting the result I was hoping for. I have 5 bulbs on hand and am showing a few combinations that I've come up with. In the end, I am not satisfied. I am trying real hard to replicate what can be had with a MH/T5 hybrid or some high end LED units. I know i won't hit it exactly, but I'd like to try and be a little closer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453823909.254069.jpg

This is (front to back)
Coral Plus
True Actinic
Blue Plus
Purple Plus

Not enough luminescence for my liking. Actually very white regardless of what the photo shows.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453825392.952739.jpg

This is (front to back)
Coral Plus
True Actinic
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

Luminescence is better, but not superb. More blue than white.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453825714.436543.jpg

This is (front to back)
Purple Plus
True Actinic
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

Luminescence unchanged from previous layout. Very blue and looks poorly lit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453826306.908647.jpg

This is (front to back)
Purple Plus
Coral Plus
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

The whitest of all my combinations, but nearly no pop or pizzaz. Not as white as a 10k. Seems like I want this combination AS WELL AS one or two actinics to get the luminescence to really show. Or supplement with something like a blue ReefBrite.

In conclusion, I honestly feel I cannot get what I want out of a 4 bulb configuration, without some form of supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, based on the picture, this configuration wins. Good par and coloration.
Coral Plus
True Actinic
Blue Plus
Purple Plus

That's the most recent and favored of the combinations. I still feel like it could use a little more actinic, but without pulling from the other end of the spectrum, which is where a 6 bulb with a second actinic and something else would come into play.

My 4 bulb fixture has 4 "lunar LEDs" that are not noticeable during daylight hours. I'm wondering if there is a way to strengthen them, and run them all the time, as a supplement.

Really not wanting to buy a $350 reefbrite or a $500 light fixture.

Do you have the ability to control two lights at a time. If you can, I would turn on the Actinic and blue plus(or purple plus) first and see how good the florescence is.
Sometime, even though you can't see it with your eyes when all the lights are on at the same time, the spectrum is there and it's beneficial to the corals. I know my tank with full lights on, there's no "pop" like people running LED. But during my dust and dawn hours when only the actinic is on, the corals florescence is really good. Still not as "pop" as blue LED but I don't run halloween light in my tank.
Remember, what you want may not be really what your corals want. You have to try it and see how your corals react. I'm willing to bet that your first configuration is just fine.

Yes, each of the ballasts have their own power switch and cord.

I had 2 10ks and 2 actinics in it before. With just the actinics on, I loved it, but it was too dark obviously. I can't seem to get enough of the actinic reaction during daylight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453842959.346694.jpg

This was with just the 2 actinics on. I can't even get close to that now.

Back