Disappearing Pistol Shrimp and Watchman Goby, anybody?

BiliV

Non-member
I recently bought a pistol shrimp and watchman goby. Right off they paired up and went to work. In fact the shrimp created quite a sand storm in my tank as he dug tunnels under my rock. All the while the watchman did his cool, suction cup fins down, watching. And it was right in front, middle of my tank. I was so pleased and really enjoying watching them do their thing. Next morning I woke up to find that all of the entrances to their tunnels were covered over and I haven't seen either for going on 48 hours. Has anyone had this same experience? Can you please tell me what is going on and what to expect?
Thanks

Most likely if you have a lot of rock in your tank they are just hiding in the middle somewhere. Check out your tank at night see if you find the pistol roaming. I've got a 120 with a lot of Rock I barely ever see a huge coral banded shrimp or fire shrimp that are in there. Good luck

If the goby passed away, the shrimp is very difficult to find when he's on his own...

Otherwise, what Chris said. They do sometimes pick new spots for absolutely no discernible reason.

I recently bought a pistol shrimp and watchman goby. Right off they paired up and went to work. In fact the shrimp created quite a sand storm in my tank as he dug tunnels under my rock. All the while the watchman did his cool, suction cup fins down, watching. And it was right in front, middle of my tank. I was so pleased and really enjoying watching them do their thing. Next morning I woke up to find that all of the entrances to their tunnels were covered over and I haven't seen either for going on 48 hours. Has anyone had this same experience? Can you please tell me what is going on and what to expect?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happened to me with my new pair earlier this week, I have an AIO and they both found their way into the filter chambers, grabbed them out and whipped out the fish guards for the overflow teeth and it's been happy since. Make sure your rocks are on the aquarium floor and not suspended by sand as that can create a collapsible home for them. Usually if you spend more than an hour near your tank you will hear the pistol snapping if he's alive

My first pistol shrimp (very small candy cane) made his way through the back chambers of my biocube where he lived for months. He found a nice little spot where i could never get him and passed away. :( But I could here him snapping away at night while he was still alive.

My second shrimp is bigger and can't fit through the slits in the back. But he does like to change tunnel locations all the time. Some days he's front and center the next day there's a large pile of sand where the burrow was. He also likes to cut off my mushrooms and decorate the entrances but that's another story.

S

I have a 60 cube with a single rock island, under which a Randall's Goby is paired with a pistol I have had for about 6 years. The background information is to demonstrate that this pair really has nowhere to hide. And yet, they disappear for days at a time, frequently making me think they are dead until one day I see them again.

My guess is that food gets blown under the rock to them. I wouldn't worry until you haven't seen them for 2 weeks. And even then I might not worry!

Back