diy skimmer party???

its how atb and every other cone maker does it except for swc who spent 10's of thousands of dollars on casts. or not so much on clay casts that are garbage. ill try and pick up some 1/8" sheet this weekend and play around with it. cheap enough.

btw as far as the plumbing...it will depend on the pump used. the return is pretty simple. ill get a quote together for parts and materials so that everyone knows whats up. maybe start a new thread laying it down clean and simple too.

I have to catch up on some reading haha. Let me know what goes down on paper. If this bad boy is going to cost $400+ I mine as well just buy one already built.

Not trying to put a damper on everything but there is a line im willing to draw. If we want to get together for a party and making something im sure we can think of something else....... just $400 + on a skimmer without knowing how it works. Not an option for me, im still putting coral in the tank :)

word. atfer doing a bit more research on the pumps. Ati, swc and many more use the "Sicce psk 2500". which isnt a red dragon or atb pump. but its still pretty badass. aaand we can get them for like 80 a piece. yeah sorry for bring the $400 atb pump to the table. i certainly cant afford one haha, just considering all options. gotta make sure we do it right so we only have to do it once ya know?

k only thing is they have to be submerged or else they overheat. with a 12 inch skimmer base and a small pump to attach vs a sedra 9000 it shouldnt be too bad to be able to fit it. ive got to fit mine in a 125(18 deep). how about you guys?

k only thing is they have to be submerged or else they overheat. with a 12 inch skimmer base and a small pump to attach vs a sedra 9000 it shouldnt be too bad to be able to fit it. ive got to fit mine in a 125(18 deep). how about you guys?

I just made a 55 gal custom sump. If i could run the pump remotely it would work if not im probably screwed. That being said I can still host :)

ill mess around with bending a cone today or tom and get a price list up ofr the end of the weekend. assuming that we will not be cnc machining anything as well.

ill mess around with bending a cone today or tom and get a price list up ofr the end of the weekend. assuming that we will not be cnc machining anything as well.

good assumption. Thanks for putting the time in on this.

Sorry, been to busy to keep up with this thread. For a mold, I was thinking we could get a piece of birch or hard pine turned down with a lathe. Unfortunately, the lathe I traditionally had access had it's motor burnt up. As for the pump, I would think spending 80$ on a pump that may or may not work is a bit risky. The way its headed now, dialing in this skimmer would be a crap shoot at best. I have not looked on RC to see if anyone has done a cone skimmer before, has anyone else?

Last edited:
quite a bit. I spoke with Victor one of the engineers from ATB yesterday. His advice was to not exceed 2000 l/h of air input. also with this particular cone size, to not exceed 32 inches in total height. I never realized how inexpensive this project could be compared to buying an actual ATB. Im certainly going forward with it. At the very least i could let everyone knows how it goes, i have 2 sedra 5000 and 1 sedra 9000 sitting around to test with if need be. but id much rather get a decent pump instead of a sedra. this is certainly not a crap shoot.

If a mold is route everyone would like to go. ATB uses a mold that consists of 2 wooden rings(one on top and bottom of cone), where they then put wooden vertical struts and then they fiberglass it.

quite a bit. I spoke with Victor one of the engineers from ATB yesterday. His advice was to not exceed 2000 l/h of air input. also with this particular cone size, to not exceed 32 inches in total height. I never realized how inexpensive this project could be compared to buying an actual ATB. Im certainly going forward with it. At the very least i could let everyone knows how it goes, i have 2 sedra 5000 and 1 sedra 9000 sitting around to test with if need be. but id much rather get a decent pump instead of a sedra. this is certainly not a crap shoot.

If a mold is route everyone would like to go. ATB uses a mold that consists of 2 wooden rings(one on top and bottom of cone), where they then put wooden vertical struts and then they fiberglass it.

Im not flaking on you yet just need a little more detail first.

Back