diy skimmer party???

No quote for the cone yet. Preston Fiske owner of PolyFab.biz says that he sets his 15 foot walk in oven at 300.

Oh, OK, I was probably remembering some cautious reccomendations for doing it at home or something?

Edit, I looked around a little, 300 may not be unreasonably hot );

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive seen people on RC melt acrylic up to 450. I think its ignite point may be upwards of 700 degrees. Trying to find an exact reference, but I am coming up empty. As for the toxicity, its been rumored, but again, never proven. I personally do not want to find out :)

Jbish could be the one to take the sheet out of the oven, he's not afraid of a little heat ;)

FWIW I do think you guys are correct about the higher ignition point. When I looked around last night I found a few links that suggested it was in the 700-800 range.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the cautions about the fumes though.

Whatever the case, be careful guys. Probably wear gloves when you handle that hot sheet :)

lets get J to test this out..he likes flammable things

Jbish could be the one to take the sheet out of the oven, he's not afraid of a little heat ;)

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the cautions about the fumes though.

Whatever the case, be careful guys. Probably wear gloves when you handle that hot sheet :)

I will grab it, 300 isnt too crazy. I have some nice gloves and I will wear a respirator.

Anyone else try any bends? Im still waiting on a quote on a cone. Ive put it into my schedule to make a call tomorrow.

Hahaha..i just spoke with PolyFab...apparently they didnt think i was for real about a quote. they thought i was just trying to sneak information on how to best go about fabricating a cone. we should hear back soon.

When you heat acrylic to bend it, it off-gasses, and those gasses are very flammable. When we made our skimmers a few years ago, we used tubes (I thought they cost about $100 for 3' sections of 6" tube), so $50/person for our skimmers - you can probably find the thread for more accurate numbers though). Then I turned a wood plug for a cone on top of the tube, and we used a torch to bend sheet over the plug. Then I held the cone in a jig and ran it through the table-saw to cut off a flush top surface that the riser neck was glued to. The bottom of the cone was cut round using a template bit in a router table, and then rabbetted to make a better glue-surface with the tube.

As we heated the plastic with the torch, you could tell it was getting close to the forming temperature, because the released gasses would catch fire in little blue puffs. I'd be VERY careful about doing this in a home oven, because it could accumulate the gasses and result in an explosion. I'm sure the 15' walk-in oven used by the plastic fab shop has some good ventilation and fire-supression systems.

all 6 foot lengths with 5mm walls+ s\h:

6"=135
8"=165
10"=240
12"=300
18"=480
24"=600

im still in the hunt for 4.5" but ive been pretty busy with work lately and the hobbyist side of things has been put on pause.

yeah i dunno. my pricelist says "6 foot lengths"...maybe its metric somehow? He said he got a few containers of them. Im sure we could get a better deal on the tube if we were to get more than a few...

It is definately possible that they are talking metric. Acrylic material made anywhere but the US is usually metric.

I said 3/16" because that's the closest american size to 5mm.

IIRC I have heard of people saving some $ by buying imported acrylic stock.

Can you share who the supplier is your looking at? Is it that local fabrication place?

Oook. So i finally got a quote from PolyFab

"the cost to make the mold will be $225. The price for 1 piece will be $214 if fabricated from 1/4" extruded acrylic, and the price each for 4 will be $188 fabricated from 1/4 extruded acrylic."

We got options i...but its not looking very cheap.

At that price, its become cost prohibited. This is coming from a guy who refuses to buy anything and can be home made...

Back