diy skimmer party???

i would think that it would work to melt it in the oven like the other guys said just bend some metal into the cone you want and put the plastics to melt hanging around it or something...heat it up and then bend it some more and then heat it and bund it....but fiberglass would also work well too in the mold....set it and let it dry

aaaiight. phase one com...com...phase one com...phase one complete

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh165/Sokretys/IMG_4008.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh165/Sokretys/IMG_4013.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh165/Sokretys/IMG_4020.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh165/Sokretys/IMG_4023.jpg

the dremel worked. sorta. in fact it suuucked. 3 inches forward..3 inches back..6 inches forward 3 back etc etc etc. an actual router is gonna be nice. i didnt feel like unmounting my 1988 router from the table and failing miserably with it. well...the end result was what i was going for so all is well.

I was thinking. since this is just 1/8. how about we bend it to a near circle. tak it in place with weld on on the base plate. cut 2 sepparate rings to go around the out diamter of the cone. so if you divide the cone into 4ths. it will have bracing at each of the 4 stages. so like i dunno...a ring with 11" od and 10 ID....6 od 5.5 id. havent done the math for it back thats the idea. after we have it all braced. we can then glue it from the inside. it may not be an atb or swc cone. but it will be a cone none the less and stable.

got a date, ill mess around with it tom afternoon.

what if, instead of a cone, you could just make four tall rectangles that taper towards the top. ---- like four trapezoids.

is it that important for it to be a cone. we are trying to make it affordable right?

also, is everyone thinking recirc?? hopefully, cause that's what i'd be interested in doing.

I have a downdraft now (etss 800) and man does this skimmer stress me out!

hahaha yeah etss are nooot worth the effort. def a recirc from what we have discussed thus far.

btw in materials the entire cone portion of the skimmer will have cost me just about $10

hahaha yeah etss are nooot worth the effort. def a recirc from what we have discussed thus far.

btw in materials the entire cone portion of the skimmer will have cost me just about $10

Thats awesome. Do you have any new pictures?

not just yet fellas, workin on workin on workin...

anyone have a router of a smaller build than the one i have been using? more of a palm sized router? any inconsistencies that came from my cuts were done from stopping and starting the cut. a fluid continuous cut is vital. which will be much easier with a smaller router and another set of hands...hahaha

Just tried calling them. No answer, probably off for the holiday. If anyone wants to give them a call during the day this week and find the pricing that would be great. I can easily pick the cones up from them. They are only a few exits up 93 from me.

cone

The site says they build them specificaly for protein skimmer manufacturers and if they are local they may give us a little break if we pick up a few of them. I can try to call them tommorow sometime and see what they say.
Nick

The site says they build them specificaly for protein skimmer manufacturers and if they are local they may give us a little break if we pick up a few of them. I can try to call them tommorow sometime and see what they say.
Nick

Nick you jumping on this project? I might need a bigger garage :)

cones

They say they offer three types of cones to meet different skimmer manufacturers specs. PVC, acrylic etc..and they also say:
We mount flanges, bases , gussets and various threaded and flanged fittings to the cones per your design.
May be a good bet if the price is right.

Ne idea as to what temperature an oven should be set at to heat up some acrylic? I tried bending the cone with a heat gun..it was at 1350 degrees but its just waaayy to big of a surface to heat all at once..and evenly? forget it. Thing ended up pretty must exploding. Impatience may have had something to do with it...but its all good. hahaha

I read up on polyfabs site. He explains how to make the cone in a bit more detail than atb was willing to give. i was using wooden rings on the outside of the cone to try and hold its shape...bugger didnt want to cooperate. Its all good...no better way to know the method was flawed than the material breaking to pieces. always tomorrow...

I spoke with PolyFab today. Im getting a quote for 1 cone with 14" large diamter/4.5" small/20.5" tall. He can also take the same cone and shorten it for those who need a smaller one. the quote is for 1 cone, 6 cones, and a mold to make our own.

He makes a female cpvc cone to our specs. We have a woodworking shop make us the male cone. Heat the acrylic at 300 degrees and we are done.

OR:

Through swc we can get 12" cast 5mm wall tube: $300 for 6 foot length. That is without shipping. $50 a foot.

A blank cone body through them is 160. But according to atb the mouth is too narrow for effective skimming.

Isn't 300 degrees pretty close to the point where acrylic catches fire?

Back